You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Varying behavior of vivid light + high pass

To increase the local contrast of an image, I apply the following approach in the photo persona:

1. Duplicate the layer

2. Set the blend mode of the upper layer to "vivid light" and the opacity to 20% - 30%

3. Apply "high pass" live filter to the upper layer with radius 100 px and monochrom checked

This was working fine for both jpeg files and raw files coming from the develop persona for all versions before 1.8.2.

For version 1.8.2 however, this leads to strange artefacts when using raw files from develop persona:

Jpeg

JPG.thumb.jpg.3150a448c7474d08eb48696c8e4962b0.jpg

RAW

RAW.thumb.jpg.209104673c96b25e1990a0ef4071668e.jpg

I also tried a workaround by using only one layer (no duplicate) and applying the "high pass" directly to the lower layer using "vivid light" as blend mode for the "high pass" with the other settings (radius, opacity) as above. This works fine for the jpeg file but same unsatisfying result for the raw file.

I have tested this for numerous jpeg-raw combinations and you can find 3 pairs attached.

Images.rar

@larsbre,

I'm not sure what effect you're wanting to achieve, but most of the time when applying a high-pass filter, people generally use softlight or overlay blend modes. Vivid light produces bizarre results as you have found. 

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Ron P. said:

@larsbre,

I'm not sure what effect you're wanting to achieve, but most of the time when applying a high-pass filter, people generally use softlight or overlay blend modes. Vivid light produces bizarre results as you have found. 

Yeah, I know the other techniques for "high pass". Nevertheless, this was working properly in Affinity Photo without artefacts before, it is working properly in other software like GIMP or Darktable and is still working properly for jpeg files in Photo 1.8.2. Even if these "bizarre results", as you call it, are desired by Serif (I have high doubts that this is the case...), there should be the same artefacts for jpeg files directly in photo persona and raw files coming from develop persona....

Thanks for your response, this gives a workaround for the moment. This concret example may be a rare special case that does not seem to be very relevant to many but in general: shouldn't the effect of a blend mode be independent from color depth? (And as far as I can tell, it did not matter up to now, at least I didn't experience this before version 1.8.2). So there might be a general issue in the code for blend modes that can have also other effects. Not sure, just a suggestion to have a closer look at....

I'm experiencing same issue with 1.8.2.  I'm using the Extract Detail Macro that Pedro Soares created here:   https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/36265-extract-detail-macro/&tab=comments#comment-178831 

It too uses Vivid Light filter. Works fine on Jpegs, but creates colored artifacts on raw (NEF) files.  Problem disappears when I convert to RGB/8 bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bump.
It seems this bug never got fixed in up to 1.10.4, despite it  having been archived.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.