You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD 1.8.2.620] Windows Ink for tablet input will register even the tiniest movement as mouse drag

If the option "Use Windows Ink for tablet input" is enabled, any jitter happening when tapping the tablet with the pen will be detected as a mouse drag instead of just a click, regardless of how small our hand/finger movement is.

The most obvious consequence of this issue is this bug previously reported here:

But it actually completely breaks the whole app workflow, since any selection you do with the pen will register both as a selection and also a move, flooding the History panel at twice the rate. It will also literally move any object by tiny amounts, breaking all alignments you may try to do. Have a look at the attached video. I'm illustrating the issue in Affinity Designer here, but this happens in all Affinity apps.

There should be a threshold of pen movement to register as an actual move object request, anything below that should be considered a tap. Until this is fixed the only way to use these apps is disabling the Windows Ink option.

Additional information:

• I'm using Windows 10 18363.720
  • Wacom drivers are 6.3.38-2
  • Tablet is a Wacom Intuos CTL-480/S
  • The "Use Windows Ink for tablet input" should have a "(requires restart)" warning BTW

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 9:45 AM, Gremriel said:

Well, if it wasn't in the release notes, then it means it hasn't been fixed yet.

Yeah, but this is a major flaw. If you don't know what option to turn off, this renders all Affinity apps unusable on Windows machines using pen inputs. I'd say it's pretty serious and requires top priority and constant reminder it's not fixed.

On 4/10/2020 at 10:15 AM, LCamachoDesign said:

Yeah, but this is a major flaw. If you don't know what option to turn off, this renders all Affinity apps unusable on Windows machines using pen inputs. I'd say it's pretty serious and requires top priority and constant reminder it's not fixed.

I have the same dragging-issue with Designer 1.8.3 on a Surface Book 2. It's a pain/impossible to design and draw when it's so sensitive to movements and moves your stuff around all the time while practically holding the pen still. It's pretty frustrating. I had to lock all my layers just to be sure they were not being moved, so I agree this makes the pen-on-tablet workflow pretty much useless.

After turning Windows Ink off pressure sensitivity doesn't work anymore, so unfortunately that's not an option either.

I had to grab my mouse all the time to prevent these issues and after a while switched to a different computer with a seperate wacom tablet (intuos 4) as it was impossible to draw in Designer on a Surface with the pen (also because of other issues with the pen in Designer) 😪

A fix would be highly appreciated!

• 1 month later...

Yeah highly anyoing as well if you want to move layers and this stupid windows ink freehand input thingy pops up everytime. And a lag when trying to grab the bar for the stroke thickness also results into a big lag evenwith Windows Ink enabled. Unusable for me, sorry.