You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyphenation not working in any language

Hello,

I'm trying to enable hyphenation for Polish language. I downloaded hyphenation dictionary and copied that to Library/Spelling/pl_PL (MacOS). Affinity Designer now sees the hyphenation language in Character Tab however selecting that doesn't change anything. Moreover selecting English and adding an english text also does nothing. Does this function work in AD

I was looking for solution but it looks like more people have problem with that. Adobe InDesign allows that without any problem.

Adobe InDesign is more like APublisher and not ADesigner. But you are right. It does not make sense to be able to select a hyphenation language when hyphenation is never going to happen. Only workaround I know of, is Edit in Publisher, turning auto-hyphenation on and switching back to AD. But this can't be the solution in the long run.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Ahr0n.

Automatic hyphenation is a function of Publisher, not Designer. Though Designer has the part of the UI (User Interface) to specify the hyphenation language, it does not have the part of the UI to enable automatic hyphenation. Only Publisher can do that.

Probably the hyphenation language setting should not be visible in Designer.

30 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

But this can't be the solution in the long run.

It can be, if Serif has decided that advanced text functions belong in Publisher, not Designer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

It can be, if Serif has decided that advanced text functions belong in Publisher, not Designer.

No offense here: Nonsense, in a sense of no sense for me. ;)WHY could we set a hyphenation language when there is NO hyphenation?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

39 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

No offense here: Nonsense, in a sense of no sense for me. ;)WHY could we set a hyphenation language when there is NO hyphenation?

I did mention that probably it shouldn't be in the Designer UI at all :D

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Probably the hyphenation language setting should not be visible in Designer.

Why? Designer is capable of editing the text content on any document or master page in preexisting .afpub files.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Why? Designer is capable of editing the text content on any document or master page in preexisting .afpub files.

True. And it can even do automatic hyphenation if you open a .afpub file that is setup for it, and edit the text using Designer. But a Designer user (who does not use Publisher) can't enable automatic hyphenation, and so it's unclear why they should be able to specify a hyphenation language.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But a Designer user (who does not use Publisher) can't enable automatic hyphenation, and so it's unclear why they should be able to specify a hyphenation language.

Are you sure about that? As a test I opened an .afpub document in APu & made sure Hyphenation was set to None for a selected text block:

75123946_charpanelinAPub.jpg.0e81336dbe723debcafb8e5071da5b42.jpg

Then I opened it in AD & had no problems changing it to Auto for that same text block:

813617856_charpanelinAD.jpg.b85d6575a8c5fc10aec70df31e92de39.jpg

When I went back to APu the switch to Auto was still there. I also tried changing hyphenation in other text blocks in both apps (& also in AP) & all of them used the setting I selected, regardless of which app I was in when I set it or opened it in.

So while someone who does not have access to APu can't set the parameters for auto-hyphenation in an .afpub document they obtained from someone who does, it seems like they could enable or disable it if the need arose for that.

Edited by R C-R
hit 'save' too soon

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Are you sure about that?

The important control is not the one that specifies the hypernation language. It's the one that enables automatic hypernation. That's in a different panel, and is missing in the Designer version of the panel.

(Away from my PC, or I'd provide more details.)

-- Walt
PC: