You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I’m not sure what I’ve done but snapping seems to have stopped working on all my Affinity Designer documents. I’ve tried resetting factory settings in preferences to see if this helps and switched on enable snapping but it still doesn’t work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks so much

Best wishes

UkeyD

You shouldn’t need to have every single option switched on for anything to snap.
Have you looked at what you have selected as “Candidates”? This can make a lot of difference.
Changing the “Screen Tolerance” can also make a big difference too.

2 hours ago, UkeyD said:

Do you have a suggestion for what to keep checked and what to switch off as a default setting?  

Try predefined Preset.

There are several predefined options according to the nature of the job.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

As Pšenda mentioned above, the Presets are usually okay for most purposes but what’s ‘right’ really depends on your circumstances at the time.
If you are doing some kind of layout work then certain options being on may get in the way of a good workflow, but if you are doing some geometrical drawing then you might be better off switching things round a bit.
For instance, snapping to the spread mid points when working on something near the centre of the spread might mean you keep snapping to something that isn’t currently relevant.

I think all I can recommend – in general – is to switch everything on and then look at switching individual options off when they make things more awkward for you. Then, if you haven’t needed to make any changes to the snapping options for a while, that might be a good time to save them as a Preset for the sort of work you are currently doing. If you name the Preset as something memorable, such as “Festival Poster Layout” (if you are doing the layout of a festival poster) rather than some generic name, then it might be easier for you to remember the sort of work you were doing when those options were good for you.

By the way, has anything written above helped you to get things working again?

Hi Garry and Pšenda thanks so much for your help. 

I got it all working by checking everything but haven’t unchecked anything yet as I have been working on a job and needed to get it finished. Will have a look at unchecking gradually and see how I go. That’s really helpful thank you. 

I wasn’t sure where predefined preset was so haven’t tried that option. 

Thanks again

UkeyD

You’re welcome.
Hopefully things will go smoother for you in the future but if, once you have finished this particular job, the problem persists then a screen grab of your snapping options with a video of what’s happening would be useful for diagnostic purposes.

Do not forget the specific snap features of the Node Tool, see Snap section:

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_node.html

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.