You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting all layers and copying causes crash

I've bee experiencing two recurring issues/bugs using your suite of programs for quite some time now.

1) selecting and copying all layers in a file cause the program to close immediately
2) selecting all layers and clicking on a color (to change the color of the selection) makes the program freeze/crash

It happens with all programs (Photo, Designer, Publisher), on two different PCs I own (a desktop and a notebook, both running Windows 10, latest version).
All programs are up to date (1.8.2.620) now, but I've been experiencing these issues since at least september 2019.

Attached is a file where you should easily (I hope) replicate both issues.
If you need any additional information (or maybe a video of what happens?), I will be glad to help.

Thank you for your support,
Davide

BIT_pannello_4-5.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Peach1200,

I'm not getting any crashes when selecting and copying any layers. Are you able to get a screen recording of the process you're going through.

I can replicate the crash when changing the colour for all objects. This is happening partly because the size of your panels, which is 2.1m x 1.8m at 300dpi. Now I'm not sure what the intended purpose is for the document, but if its for a large poster of that size, you don't need to be working at high of a DPI, something like 72 (or even lower) would be much better. However if its for a small piece of print (say A4) I would ensure you're working to the size of the print at 300dpi.

What is happening is that you have pixel layers in your document, which when filled with a multi selection get enlarged to the size of the document. This is with development to be fixed however

In the case of your document the size (because its 2 panels) is 4.8m x 1.8m. At 300dpi this works out at a pixel size of 49,800 x 21,000 which is a huge amount of memory, which in turn is causing the application to crash.

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Peach1200,

I'm not getting any crashes when selecting and copying any layers. Are you able to get a screen recording of the process you're going through.

I can replicate the crash when changing the colour for all objects. This is happening partly because the size of your panels, which is 2.1m x 1.8m at 300dpi. Now I'm not sure what the intended purpose is for the document, but if its for a large poster of that size, you don't need to be working at high of a DPI, something like 72 (or even lower) would be much better. However if its for a small piece of print (say A4) I would ensure you're working to the size of the print at 300dpi.

What is happening is that you have pixel layers in your document, which when filled with a multi selection get enlarged to the size of the document. This is with development to be fixed however

In the case of your document the size (because its 2 panels) is 4.8m x 1.8m. At 300dpi this works out at a pixel size of 49,800 x 21,000 which is a huge amount of memory, which in turn is causing the application to crash.

I did a quick video capture of what happens.
I tried a couple different programs but none of them is able to correctly capture contextual menus that appears on screen. So, what you can't see in the video is:
- when I first click on "File" is to select the file to open from the recent files list
- after selecting everything that I see on screen, I right click on the levels on the right and then click on "Copy" from the contextual menu
- the video ends because Affinity Designer itself abruptly closes as soon as I click on "Copy"

Is there any way I can share with you a log file of what happens?

As regards the "changing color" issue, that's because of the pixel layers, you are right; if I don't add them to the selection, Designer doesn't crash.
Glad to hear it's already in the development pipeline to be fixed.

Thank you for your support