You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Displaying brush names in the brush panel

Its still an issue, which would make the use of the programm so much nicer, as you can make so many different brushes, that it would be nice if you could name them rightfully and find them without hassle. I would be happy too if the name would just appear in the header if its not possible to make it in the brush pannel. (just in the settings of the Brush to see it when you choose the brush) 

I've switched to photoshop now.. never thought I'd even bother trying it but sooo much better because it a) shows brush names, and b) highlights what brush you have selected, changes from blue to a red border around selected brush when you alter the size.. Not hard to implement this in Affinity you'd have thought but I'm all in photoshop now because of this simple thing.. can't see myself going back anytime soon as the autosave is a good plus too..

Yes, to see the brush names permanently would be very helpful. I think the brush stroke previews must not be so big, so there would be place enough for the names - if they are not too long. For this case they could be cutted and faded with "..." at the end (like in the Layers Panel). 

GIMP has a nice solution for this. You can choose between only the brushes preview or a list with the previews and the names of the brushes behind it. And you can choose between 8 sizes for the previews/list. That's nice e.g. if you have a small monitor.

Permanent highlighting of selected brushes would be very helpful too. I often miss that.

Hello,
I don't think it is a better or worse issue VS other software. We just use the tools that we prefer and that's fine.
For many reason's I am not using PSD because for me APHO works a lot better and without having to dish out money every month or year.
This brush feature would be nice and I think Affinity might be working on this to implement it the best way possible.
Forum is nice so we can point out how usefull this would be.

iMac mid-2017
3,6 Ghz / 32G

16 minutes ago, Theseus said:

with some sort of indication from Serif whether this is in their backlog or not.

Serif generally does not comment on possible future development. The best statement they will usually make is "we might do it someday".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just discovered brushes, and bought 3 packs in the Affinity store, and the first thought as I was playing around with them was "Why do I see numbers next to the brushes, but have to hover for a tooltip to see the name?"  I'm writing this literally 5 minutes after downloading my new brushes.  UX 101 - If I need to use tooltips, there's a problem with the UI.  Please +1 on this!

8 minutes ago, GregoryOR said:

I just discovered brushes, and bought 3 packs in the Affinity store, and the first thought as I was playing around with them was "Why do I see numbers next to the brushes, but have to hover for a tooltip to see the name?"  I'm writing this literally 5 minutes after downloading my new brushes.  UX 101 - If I need to use tooltips, there's a problem with the UI.  Please +1 on this!

It's been added in beta. It'll be in 2.1 when it's released.

I just wanted to take a quick moment and say thank you to Serif for adding this feature in the upcoming 2.1 release. I started this thread two years ago and it seems only fitting to close it out with a big 'ol thank you! Showing the brush names as well as keeping the brush highlighted even after changing the size is going to make the whole brush experience feel so much smoother. 

It's greatly appreciated. :)

4 hours ago, thomasmoulson said:

I had another email exchange with them complaining about this again just recently, they didn’t tell me anything about an upcoming update

Unless it was after the 2.1 beta started, and after that feature for it was announced, they probably wouldn't be able to say anything.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1