You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD 1.8.2.620] Strange Pentool behavior / Windows Ink

Version 1.8.2 runns fine so far but the behavior of the pentool is very strange. By adding starting ancors I always accidently make curve grips which causing strange effects. It only happens when I use my Wacom tablet. I also noticed that I cant adding new ancors anymore in already exsisting paths. In the old version I simply could click with the pentool into the path. With the Mouse its no problem but as soon I use my graphic Tablet it is impossible.

Edited by Pockenfresse
Edited title

EDIT: Reported the actual bug causing this here:

I "know" what's going on. The new "Use Windows Ink for tablet input" option found in Preferences > Tools causes this issue. If you turn that off you'll be able to to do sharp point with your table. I don't know why this is happening, Illustrator also uses Windows Ink and does not show this behaviour so it's not a tablet or driver fault. @Pockenfresse are you able to edit the title of this topic to mention this is related to the Windows Ink option? So QA and developers can track this more easily? Thanks!

QA, here's the gist to pass to developers:

• This issue is related to drawing with the Pen tool (EDIT: Actually this has anything to do with the Pen tool, it's a deeper issue, I'm going to post a separate bug report on this)
  • With "Use Windows Ink for tablet input" enabled we're unable to do sharp points by tapping on the tablet, they end up always being curve points
  • Does not happen when that option is disabled
  • This option exists in all 1.8.2 Affinity apps, so they need to be checked for this behaviour as well (EDIT: just checked, same issue happens on all apps)
  • Does not happen in Illustrator, that also uses Windows Ink
  • The "Use Windows Ink for tablet input" should have a "(requires restart)" warning BTW
  • I'm using Windows 10 18363.720
  • Wacom drivers are 6.3.38-2
  • Tablet is a Wacom Intuos CTL-480/S

Attached video shows what's happening.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, LCamachoDesign said:

@Pockenfresse are you able to edit the title of this topic to mention this is related to the Windows Ink option? So QA and developers can track this more easily? Thanks!

Done.

Disabling the Windows Ink option in the settings works out for me. Pentool is working now as disired.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a wacom graphics display recently. Working with AF is currently a pain in the.. you know where... with this pentool problem. One version later its still not fixed. Guys I'd had a lot of patience and I understand its rough times but... What are you doing the whole day? Working on new features? Please for god sake, please make the latest stable run good first! I don't need a Template browser! I need a proper workflow! It's a nightmare:

Disable Windows Ink and you have a lag on the whole system with every stroke where working is impossible.
Enabling Windows Ink makes your cursor is hyper sensitive and you even cant add a ancorpoints correctly. Yes I use the Beta - problem still exsist. Every beta update I hope.. but no... I'm disappointed!

I mean you have this nice forum here were people can write bugs and other things down but whats the point when the major bugs which really interrupting the main workflow and productivity, still exsist in every update? Im aware that the pentool bug is addressed and known to the dev team but it seems the priority isnt that high for it. Why something like such a major bug gets ignored everytime? Some people do more in AD rather than just drawing cycles or creating logos. I illustrate comics, I do commissioned works and thats my job. I need to pay my bills with it. I actually put a lot of trust into Affinity when I changed from AI to AD.
So I need your Software and I dont want to miss the other pros this great program has. But now It's impossible to work with AD if the workflow is a nightmare!

I need double the time to finish one work than before with AD 1.7.x which also had anyoing bugs which were partly fixed in 1.8.

• 1 month later...

Its very disappointing that this issue still exists. I understand the tough times, but this is a pretty serious issue with a main tool. Is there a time-frame as to when this bug will be addressed? I would like to be able to work on the go, and this issue really prevents that with my Surface Pro.

I just hope that this problem is fixed in the next version. The last release is a while ago and I still have hope for a fix. If this doesnt get fixed i think its time to looking for another software. Since theres no really alternatives to Affinity for Vectors I guess the old torrent version of CS6 needs to do the job again 🤷‍♂️ Sounds harsh but right now Affinity Designer is just unusable with those issues and Inkscape is a nightmare from the UI.

The 1.8.4.665 beta made further changes in Wacom support, removing the "Windows Ink" option and switching to high-precision Wintab support.

I don't know if it would help with this specific problem, but it might be worthwhile to install the beta (see the Beta Forums to find it) and experiment.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1