You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD [1.8.2.620] -  behavior when switching between "Designer Persona" and "Pixel Persona". Wanted or Bug? since AD1.7x.

I don't know if it's already reported here but I'm annoyed by this switching behavior when I switch from "Designer Persona" to "Pixel Persona".
When I close the tab "Assests" in "Designer Persona", they still appear in "Pixel Persona". Also the colour tabs on the right side jump between "Swatches" and "Colour".
So for my understanding, if I close the "Assets" window in one editing area it should not appear in the other editing area and if I select a colour tab it should not be toggled.

435342601_AffinityDesigner_switch_designer_pixel_persona.gif.825851230a0c9a45dbecab9a41048395.gif

As far as I know it's always been that way, and it's intentional, @ChristAlix.

Each Persona in each of the Affinity applications has its own set of Studio panels. Sometimes panels are common between Personas, but sometimes they aren't. Each also maintains its own arrangement of the panels, as you have arranged them specifically for that Persona.

Compare, for example, View > Studio from the Designer Persona, the Pixel Persona, and the Export Persona, respectively:

image.png.49678ddb2286f24a490f054f924a14bf.png    image.png.f27032376dbb9ef20dd1307ca91d9c36.png    image.png.7247b12f949f11c2d2ecf59b3853092f.png

Note that the Pixel Persona does not have the Appearance or Isometric panels from the Designer Persona. Neither has the Export Options or Slices panels from the Export Persona. And the Export Persona is missing most of the panels from the other two Personas.

Each Persona is separate, and you can arrange each as you like, and it is remembered for the next time you work in that Persona.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello, walt.farrell,
Hello, Mark Ingram,

thank you for the note and the detailed explanation.
Somehow I probably overlooked this behavior in the "Affinity Designer Help".

Ok, I can still handle the " View > Studio etc." but the jumping between the "Swatches" and "Colour" is annoying. 

1 hour ago, ChristAlix said:

Ok, I can still handle the " View > Studio etc." but the jumping between the "Swatches" and "Colour" is annoying. 

That's an interesting one. Each Persona (workspace) maintains it's own list of selected panels (because you may have a panel selected which doesn't exist in the Persona you're about to switch to). Perhaps we could provide an option to try to "preserve" panel selection across Personas.