You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Added] AF Clipping Path / Alpha Mask

Hello there!

I work a lot with product shoots. There are up to 1500 new pictures every year. All this images contains a clipping path for use in the catalogue or for easy web export. There is no support in AP for clipping path or alpha masks?

I bought AP and can't use this great app without this features.

Are threre plans to bulid in this features?

• Staff

Hi SKY_Photography,

Thanks for the file.

The JPEG format doesn't offer support for clipping or masking, however some applications store additional data in its metadata sections, which is what's happening here with the clipping path (i think).

While affinity does offer support for paths and masks on formats that natively support them, we are not yet(?) able to retrieve "custom" information from those metadata fields on JPEG's. I'm logging this issue to be looked at and will raise this with the developers to see if there's something we can do about it.

• Staff

We will look at importing clipping paths for these other formats.

As they are not documented as such, we need to do a little research.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Hello MEB, thank you!

It seems not working with TIFF files, too. If I even save the TIFF file with included path in AP, the path is gone.

I added the two files to the dropbox folder.

What are the file types supporting paths in AP?

Hi Sky_Photography,

Sorry the delay getting back to you.

Currently our TIFF support is still basic.

I advise you to use PSD's instead. Note however that we only support Shape Layers in PSD.

To convert a Clipping Path to a Shape Layer in Photoshop, select it in the Paths tab, change to the Pen Tool, change the first dropdown in the context toolbar to Path and click on the Shape button on the righ. This will create a new Shape Layer from the clipping path. Save the PSD file and open it in Affinity. You should now have the clipping path available as a shape in Affinity apps. Drag your Image layer in Affinity over the path in the Layers panel to use it as a clipping path.

I know it's not a direct solution, but we are looking into improving things.

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

Clipping paths in JPEG files are now imported and exported in the 1.6 customer beta and this improvement will be included in the forthcoming 1.6 public release.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Multiples clipping paths, multi alpha channels and bitmap are importants features we need, since we use them in QXpress, inDesign and we can't spend time converting archives or completly redo old worflow/files.

Another important feature would be to retrieve Photoshop .psd and .tif files with layers, alphas and paths easily.

We used those tricks for years because they are time saver, instead of exporting alphas or path as we did 20+ years ago !

Affinity Photo and Designer are really interesting apps, but iit's impossible for now to only use them.