5way

"Save failed because you do not have permission to create a file in that location"

Device: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

System: MacOS 10.15.3 (19D76)

Designer version: 1.8.2

Can't save any files, just like the image said.

Already open the FULL DISK ACCESS for Designer.

截屏2020-03-1800.42.25.png

Hi 5way,

Have you purchased the application from the Mac App Store? If so, do you use any form of Font Management software at all? Due to Apple's sandboxing restrictions the ability to save can get locked out if you've got many fonts loaded into the application. 

Hi there. I too have the issue trying to save a document in my User folder. Here are my specs.

Mac Pro 2009 (firmware upgraded to 5,1) - dual X5680 CPUs (12-core 3.33GHz) - 36 GB ram 1333 MHz - Sapphire Pulse RX 590 8GB - Boot drive is a Samsung 860 EVO SSD in a OWC Accelsior S SATA II PCIe card - User accounts are on a Fusion Drive made up of a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB paired with a Western Digital Black Caviar 2TB spinner.

Affinity Designer (now at version 18.3) purchased off Mac App Store (MAS).

Affinity Photo (now at 1.8.3) also purchased off MAS. And I purchased Affinity Publisher direct from your website (not at version 1.8.3).

Can't save anywhere in my User (fusion drive) folder, or on my boot SSD. However, I can save in my User/iCloud/Affinity Designer folder. But that's not where I want to save my files! I have manually reset folder/file permissions, removed then installed all the Affinity apps, cleaned out user, application and system font caches and done a raft of other maintenance scripts using Onyx. NO OTHER applications have issues accessing/saving to my User account folders. 

Need help sorting this. Don't know when the issue began because I don't use this lovely software much, but when I do use it I spend days on projects and need it to work. I get the same result whether I use fonts in the document, and/or just vector graphics. I've read it could be too many fonts are activated - I deactivated all User fonts, cleared the caches, restarted and still get the issue. Affinity Publisher has no issues saving into User folder locations, however Affinity Photo has the same issue as Designer. The apps are all very slow to start up, and I see the fontd process is very busy as I wait for an app to start and open up. 

What is of concern is that while researching this issue, it can be traced back two years - yet the issue is still occurring for some users and I can find no solution for the problem after more than two hours searching. 

Please help - your software is awesome, but this sours the experience considerably for me. 

Hi Jed,

Have you seen my reply above?

Font Management software often causes the above issue when you have lots of fonts installed, as it is triggering Apple's sandbox security as those files are accessed on launch (that is only found on Mac App Store builds). This is the reason why Publisher isn't causing an issue for you - as it was purchased from our store, it doesn't have the sandboxed restrictions that the Mac App Store releases have.

23 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi Jed,

Have you seen my reply above?

Font Management software often causes the above issue when you have lots of fonts installed, as it is triggering Apple's sandbox security as those files are accessed on launch (that is only found on Mac App Store builds). This is the reason why Publisher isn't causing an issue for you - as it was purchased from our store, it doesn't have the sandboxed restrictions that the Mac App Store releases have.

Thanks @Sean P. Can you give some guidance on how many fonts I should have activated then so as not to activate this feature (fault/limitation)? 

And is a better solution for you to convert my Mac App Store purchases into your store purchases so I can get around this? 

22 minutes ago, Jed said:

Thanks @Sean P. Can you give some guidance on how many fonts I should have activated then so as not to activate this feature (fault/limitation)? 

And is a better solution for you to convert my Mac App Store purchases into your store purchases so I can get around this? 

Hi Jed,
From the numbers I've heard from development the limit is around 5,000 files (obviously the amount of files a font uses is different), so cannot give a 100% accurate value.

As for the solution, I work in QA so this isn't anything I can do. That is something you'll have to speak to Customer Service about.

Thanks for the reply. I've got 3600 fonts activated at present, down from having all 8700 activated, and I'm still getting the error. I've cleared the font cache etc also - still no go. Are there other steps after deactivating fonts that I also need to do, e.g. clear font caches etc?

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2020 at 11:25 PM, Sean P said:

Hi 5way,

Have you purchased the application from the Mac App Store? If so, do you use any form of Font Management software at all? Due to Apple's sandboxing restrictions the ability to save can get locked out if you've got many fonts loaded into the application. 

Thanks Sean. Yes I purchased the application from Mac App Store, and I use Rightfont to manage my fonts (Cause I am doing some type design work). Is that possible I move my license to the application downloaded from your own store?

Edited by 5way