You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anyone else having issues downloading latest version upgrades?

We're using Malwarebytes, and it is continuously blocking download attempts, labelling the site as potentially dangerous.  Even if we check to let the objection pass or go into the app to allow the serif.com site, it still stops the download.  Maybe Serif could look into this or contact the vendor.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
(Still stumbling along given too many directions at any given moment)
Windows10 platform

11 minutes ago, RickyO said:

Maybe Serif could look into this or contact the vendor.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. If you’re downloading from the serif.com site, Serif is the vendor!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I’m not sure what you mean by this. If you’re downloading from the serif.com site, Serif is the vendor!

Hi Alfred,

I think he is referring to us contacting Malwarebytes.

21 minutes ago, RickyO said:

Anyone else having issues downloading latest version upgrades?

We're using Malwarebytes, and it is continuously blocking download attempts, labelling the site as potentially dangerous.  Even if we check to let the objection pass or go into the app to allow the serif.com site, it still stops the download.  Maybe Serif could look into this or contact the vendor.

Hi Ricky O

I can assure you this is a false positive we have had this a few times with Malwarebytes in the past. There are no security risks with any downloads on our official site, In this case you will need to disable Malwarebytes to complete your download.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Agreed; tried that (disabled it), and it still blocked the download  (that's bizarre).  Rebooted, still problems.  And, as far as I tested, it's only specific to this instance.  I chatted with their support providing my side: MW is blocking an auto-download I need from store.serif.com. I've put the website into the MW allow list, I've run your support tool, I've scanned; I've even turned MW off and it still blocks the download. I've gone to the other app's site, logged-in and attempted download directly from them as compared to the auto-notification from their app. MW still blocks the download. WHY??????

They have escalated the ticket.  I suspect the issue(s) are with their app.  I've had good protection in the eight or so months I've used it, so suspect this to be a clitch a bit in their code.  They will be getting back to me.

Hopefully, whatever they find will be usable by all of us in the future.

Thx

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

Just a shot in the dark, but:

I'm wondering if the length of the URL to the download URL could have something to do with it.  It's approx 481 characters.  Or if the base domain name the link points to is an issue for MQ....

Just a bit of mind-acrobatics.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

23 minutes ago, RickyO said:

MW is blocking an auto-download I need from store.serif.com.

Is it really doing that? Or is it blocking a file from cloudfront.net?

For example, the direct download link for Designer 1.8.2 for Windows from the Serif update site is: https://d1gl0nrskhax8d.cloudfront.net/windows/designer/1.8.2/affinity-designer-1.8.2.exe?Expires=1584456356&Signature=JNzAMcyNEu-v3oCD0nn7aKQG1qcLz7PzxQRglDAMyvbROZOa1eTb1PINr1Gvv~HZQSJSp5s9nsNEajtJGwgcF8-S0VMnJr6ztZdNR3xeNKs8VPXB8WXsC1kOYbZJlt6Wh9Ops5VTsLacOOtz9~Kjyt3VpUdEQrkiWOscDBqtaENjknYn5Yumpocx-ReCahrOxmTjZRQzsas86EDIo7qFyUOfAuuJo1jSMXd85gC34ImBWBa-QUitylYA6OpUXAdm6TTvbMAjXvo-4HnlpIqS1QnReilIpInxGqjw0EnnmgnRspcBDN0urzlsDX9vVVXsT9PyGqSj1Vim5~WrCLUBKw__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIMMPYSI7GSVTEAAQ

They use cloudfront as a server because it has higher bandwidth than their own servers would have.

It is likely that MW is blocking cloudfront either because it doesn't understand that long URL and thinks something is fishy, or it has previously found something suspicious somewhere on cloudfront.

You need to provide that URL (assuming you're on Windows) so the MW team can see what's going on.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Is it really doing that? Or is it blocking a file from cloudfront.net?

For example, the direct download link for Designer 1.8.2 for Windows from the Serif update site is: https://d1gl0nrskhax8d.cloudfront.net/windows/designer/1.8.2/affinity-designer-1.8.2.exe?Expires=1584456356&Signature=JNzAMcyNEu-v3oCD0nn7aKQG1qcLz7PzxQRglDAMyvbROZOa1eTb1PINr1Gvv~HZQSJSp5s9nsNEajtJGwgcF8-S0VMnJr6ztZdNR3xeNKs8VPXB8WXsC1kOYbZJlt6Wh9Ops5VTsLacOOtz9~Kjyt3VpUdEQrkiWOscDBqtaENjknYn5Yumpocx-ReCahrOxmTjZRQzsas86EDIo7qFyUOfAuuJo1jSMXd85gC34ImBWBa-QUitylYA6OpUXAdm6TTvbMAjXvo-4HnlpIqS1QnReilIpInxGqjw0EnnmgnRspcBDN0urzlsDX9vVVXsT9PyGqSj1Vim5~WrCLUBKw__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIMMPYSI7GSVTEAAQ

They use cloudfront as a server because it has higher bandwidth than their own servers would have.

It is likely that MW is blocking cloudfront either because it doesn't understand that long URL and thinks something is fishy, or it has previously found something suspicious somewhere on cloudfront.

You need to provide that URL (assuming you're on Windows) so the MW team can see what's going on.

I agree.  Was just doing so when I received notification of your post.  And thank you.  It appears we may be on the same thinking path.

====================

And of course, their chat app won't allow the thread to be re-opened "at this time".  I'll write that one off as legitimate due to the current Covid/staffing issues.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

39 minutes ago, RickyO said:

I've even turned MW off and it still blocks the download.

Did you try stopping the Malwarebytes service in Services?

Or did you just try to switch it off in the Malwarebytes program?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Just tried that.  Bizarre.  I won't let me stop the service.  Error 5:  Access denied.

MW support just requested a rerun of their diagnostic and copies of the logs.  We'll see what they say.

Thanks again.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

6 hours ago, carl123 said:

Just an update.  Nothing heard from MW.  Sent them a request for update.  Now 6 hrs down the road, (3:30p CDST - US).

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

If stopping Malwarebytes didn't work, you might consider uninstalling it, doing the download, and then (perhaps) reinstalling it after the download has worked.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If stopping Malwarebytes didn't work, you might consider uninstalling it, doing the download, and then (perhaps) reinstalling it after the download has worked.

Yes, was considering it.  If I do, I'll scrub the registry as well before re-installing.  Giving MW a few more hours to see if they come up with anything.  All has gone well with it for months.  Have dl'ed earlier Affinity updates no problems.  Makes me wonder if there's a variable I'm just not aware of; and if so, why now?

Thanks

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Interestingly enough, also have a similar dl problem using appsumo.com  Appears they use another dl service which employs very long URLs to the specific downloads.  That service appears to be klclick.com.  Too obvious that both are long URLs.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

17 minutes ago, RickyO said:

Interestingly enough, also have a similar dl problem using appsumo.com  Appears they use another dl service which employs very long URLs to the specific downloads.  That service appears to be klclick.com.  Too obvious that both are long URLs.

8 hours ago, carl123 said:

Someone want to tell me how after uninstalling MW, rebooting, scrubbing the Win10Pro registry, rebooting, I still get the Malwarebytes download warning/stop page???

Something smell ripe in this garden.....

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

15 minutes ago, RickyO said:

Someone want to tell me how after uninstalling MW, rebooting, scrubbing the Win10Pro registry, rebooting, I still get the Malwarebytes download warning/stop page???

Something smell ripe in this garden.....

Believe it or not, I found it.

It’s in the Malwarebytes Browser Guard, v.2.2.0, last updated 3/6/2020 from Malwarebytes.com website.

After disabling it, the dl worked. 

That little extension is going bye-bye....

Thanks to everyone.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

14 minutes ago, RickyO said:

Believe it or not, I found it.

It’s in the Malwarebytes Browser Guard, v.2.2.0, last updated 3/6/2020 from Malwarebytes.com website.

After disabling it, the dl worked. 

That little extension is going bye-bye....

Thanks to everyone.

How do we get this recorded into the affinity support section??

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
Windows10 platform

21 minutes ago, RickyO said:

How do we get this recorded into the affinity support section??

I'm not sure it needs to be (and congratulations for figuring it out), but Callum (one of the moderators) is following the discussion and will know.

-- Walt
PC:

• 4 months later...

I regret that I didn't find this particular topic here before I posted elsewhere in the forums.  I had the same problem and spent much too much time and received several unhelpful support replies from Malwarebytes that denied their software was the problem.   I even found and entered the URL of the Cloudfront server as an exemption,  MW support didn't offer me any diagnostics or ask for my log files.  I just received an update from Malwarebytes, and the problem persists.  I downloaded Vivaldi browser and used it rather than Firefox, and somehow managed to get the update.  I'm unclear how to turn off the Browser guard, but I will look into the services.  I believe Malwarebytes is a very good product,and has saved me some grief in the past,  but has some obvious shortcomings, and will try to continue my dialogue with them.

These forums and their members are impressive, but I feel Affinity should have a more direct way of addressing this kind of problem as well.

1 hour ago, joltar said:

I feel Affinity should have a more direct way of addressing this kind of problem as well

I'm not sure exactly how Serif/Affinity would be able to do that?  The problem is clearly with Malwarebytes code (somewhere) so not something Serif can address, I think.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:35 AM, joltar said:

I had the same problem and spent much too much time and received several unhelpful support replies from Malwarebytes that denied their software was the problem.
(...) I feel Affinity should have a more direct way of addressing this kind of problem as well.

Another approach would expect a better work- or information-flow from the part which does the unwanted blocking. Maybe by making this note more present and aware to their users:

b66ecdd4813c3b2805191d235d1d39b53760eccb.png.1ce4bec432eefe7b83069951302f2191.png   There may be occasions when Malwarebytes for Windows flags an item you trust as malicious. Add the item to your exclusions to stop Malwarebytes for Windows from blocking an item you know and trust. (...) Once an exclusion is added to Malwarebytes for Windows, the exclusion begins to take effect immediately.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039024133

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I have added the sites blocked from Affinity download to the exclusions, and the problem persists.  I have an open support at Malewarebytes, and they have responded quickly in the past, even though the advice did not work.  I'm awaiting a followup now, and have alerted the support agent of this forum and how the problem isn't just with me.  Wait and see.