You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows - 1.8.2

• Staff

We are pleased to announce an update for the Windows release of Affinity Designer, version 1.8.2

Changes in this Build

The changes in Affinity Designer for Windows 1.8.2 (over the last release Affinity Designer for Windows 1.8.0) are as follows:

Fixes & Improvements:

• Fixed a source of instability when enumerating fonts at startup
  • Added "Use Windows Ink for tablet input" preference (enabled by default, disable to use WinTab)
  • Fixed dashed line expansion when used inside/outside of closed shapes
  • Fixed some geometric operations on curves resulting in curves with no corners, but the Corner tool still recognised the corners
  • Fixed flat EXR export to honour layer blend mode
  • Fixed selection problems with clipped groups
  • Fixed failure to export to vector formats when a document contains a flipped object with line style and scale to object enabled
  • Fixed PDF export outputting some 1-bit masks as inverted, leaving them mostly transparent
  • Fixed crash reordering layers via drag/drop when Layers panel is floating 
  • Allow PSD smart object support (like Photo)
  • Fixed crash when switching between artboards with Appearance panel visible
  • Fixed New Document dialog Presets bar incorrectly hidden when switching between Templates and Presets
  • Fixed New Document dialog Template folders with a '.' cutting off subsequent characters 
  • Fixed several boolean operations and expand stroke issues on simple geometry or compound objects
  • Fixed unable to paste text into editors after receiving tab focus
  • Fixed New Documents dialog allowing minus values in Document Size, Margins and Bleed 
  • Improved performance of Layers Panel when updating previews of Artistic Text
  • Fixed input lag (500ms) when drawing with a pen using Windows Ink
  • Improved text responsiveness
  • Fixed crash when dragging asset containing missing fonts
  • Fixed cursor not getting hidden while resizing brush
  • Changed AlignTo option to disable when no Alignment option is set 
  • Fixed parent layer not selected when right clicking an enclosure nodes non-icon area
  • Added 'Zoom' context menu for Pan tool
  • Fixed Enclosure layers not being able to be repositioned to the top level
  • Fixed Enclosure thumbnails being reversed in a collapsed parent row
  • Fixed Node tool Cycle Selection keyboard shortcut not set 
  • Help and Localisation improvements.

Earlier changes and fixes in 1.8 since 1.7 (including the new 1.8 features) are listed in some detail in this 1.8.0 update announcement.

UPDATING TO THIS VERSION (free for existing customers)

The software version can be seen on the splash screen and the About dialog (in Help > About Affinity Designer).

If you’ve purchased from the Affinity Store— each time you start the Affinity Store software it will check for updates and offer any available update. The latest update will install over the top of any earlier version, with no need to uninstall. You can download the latest installer by logging into the affinity store here and find the order in your account and use the "Download" button in there. Alternatively, this new release (and previous versions of Affinity Designer for Windows) can be downloaded from this link (that installer is NOT for Windows Store purchases and needs a product key).

If you’ve purchased from the Microsoft Store— Microsoft Store updates are done automatically by the operating system (each time you start the application). If this does not happen for you, open the Windows Store app and click the three dots in the top right corner of the app and then go to Downloads and Updates. Click Get Updates. This should hopefully force the update to show.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Allow PSD smart object support (like Photo)

Yeeeeei.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Fixed several boolean operations and expand stroke issues on simple geometry or compound objects

Yeeeeei as well.

Best regards!

Fantastic!...thanks for all the effort and rapid updates....

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 0.2301
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

How I found out about this update:
- I was thrown out of the application without warning (I made a poster for 2 day).
- launched in the hope that the program will offer to restore the files.
- I did not see the recovery, I saw a new update.

• Staff

Works here @Designer1 

Try the Get Updates button on the Downloads page. 

image.png

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@Designer1

Please have some patience then, I expect Microsoft throttle their servers to keep demand down. I should think there are lots of people installing apps to work at home right now, so the store could be less responsive than normal. Try again later, it will appear eventually. If you cannot use 1.8.0, then while you wait for the Microsoft Store to offer the update you could use the Affinity Designer trial which is 1.8.2 and will work for 10 days (NOTE: choose the correct OS in the basket before pressing get my download link).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

40 minutes ago, Monseg said:

How I found out about this update:
- I was thrown out of the application without warning (I made a poster for 2 day).
- launched in the hope that the program will offer to restore the files.
- I did not see the recovery, I saw a new update.

Saving often and saving several files through the process MyDesignName-Stage001, MyDesignName-Stage002, MyDesignName-Stage003 and so on is a lesson everyone has to learn the hard way*. And keep backups elsewhere too.

2 is 1 and 1 is none. So have at least 3. 1 on your machine, 1 on removable storage and 1 somewhere else (secure cloud/company server/whatever). And there are higher levels of paranoid archival if you want to go down that route.

*Graphite Addict learned this lesson, thankfully second hand, 3 decades ago when a copywriter lost a weeks' work 😑