You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

the crop tool's annoying habit ...

ceg

The lowly crop tool could use some improvements:

1. For starters: when selecting an aspect ratio - please keep the crop within the image. For example, when I try to crop a 3:2 image in landscape format into a 1:1 square I get a crop that is based on the long edge, horizontal edge, rather than the shorter vertical edge. The crop extends off-screen. So far only mildly annoying: grabbing the handle on the left or right side easily resizes the crop. Worse though: if I decide to switch the crop to "unconstrained" I have to scroll up and down to corral those upper and lover edges of the crop.

2. Most other software recognizes that a 2:3 crop uses the same aspect ratio as a 3:2 crop and adjust the crop accordingly, based on mouse behavior. Affinity is, unfortunately, not smart enough to realize that a user would like to switch from landscape to portrait (or the other way round) while keeping the aspect ratio.

There are plenty of things I like about the crop tool, but these two issues have bugged me for weeks.

• Staff

Hey ceg,

Issue 1 - I've tried this but I always see the crop sticking within the document boundaries so it never exceeds it. If I recall, it used to but I haven't seen it for a while. Either that, or I'm doing something wrong. Could you provide the exact clicks I need to make so I can see what you're doing?

Issue 2 - Is this not what the Rotate button is for or would you wish to do this with a mouse instead of hitting Rotate?

Thanks for the response.

Of course, now you make me wonder ... whether I am imagining things. Luckily (for my sanity) I am not. 🙂

1. open an image in landscape format

2. select crop - in this instance the crop snapped to the image boundaries because I had selected "unconstrained"

3. go to the cogwheel and select 1:1 custom ratio and I get the attached image.

This is just one variation of the theme. Long story short: when AP gets the chance it never stays within the image boundaries. 🙂

2. I had never noticed the "rotate" button (so well-hidden in plain sight) and agree - it works. But other software products implement this in a  smarter way. The portrait/landscape orientation of the crop changes automatically if you drag the mouse across the image. check DxO Photolab or Photoshop for example.

image.png

What version of Photo are you using, ceg.

I often experienced that problem prior to 1.8.2, but in 1.8.2 I haven't gotten it to fail yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1