You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo crashes when opening 2.5Gb tif file

When I tried to open a very large hi-res TIF photo posted from NASA, the Affinity Photo GUI opened but after 15 or 30 seconds the program crashed and closed. At first I thought the file may be corrupt, but it opened in GIMP without a problem. I tried 3 different times to open the file in AP and each time the program shut down and sent me back to Windows 10. The file is hi-res, contains 1.8 billion pixels, and has a file size of 2.25GB. Is there a limit to the size of files Affinity can open?

Hardware specs: CPU - AMD7 2700; GPU - MSI NVidia GeForce 2060 Super; RAM - 32GB

• 3 months later...

Same probleme here on affinity 1.8.3.641 BUT what is very weird and annoying is that it worked perfectly fine few month ago, I could worked on 4096x4096 files, save same as tif , reopened the tif without any issues. now, i can't even open a 2048x2048 tif file....i will try to revert to 1.7.xxx to see if it's better but that's not great. It also crash on designer.

i didn't made any change to my PC

win10

i7-7820X

128GIG ram (so obvioulsy, not a ram issues)

1070 and 1080ti

Edit:

I unistalled Photo and reinstalled it, it worked as expected now. What is weird, i didn't reinstalled designer but it can now reopen the same files without crashing... anyway, if you run into  this issue, try to reinstall might solve it.

Edited by canderled