You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Ver 1.8.2 updates are live on the Mac App Store

• Staff

This is just a (placeholder) announcement that Affinity Publisher Ver 1.8.2, Affinity Photo Ver 1.8.2 and Affinity Designer Ver 1.8.2 are all live on the Mac App Store (today Monday 16th).

The official release of the Affinity Desktop Ver 1.8.2 builds on the Affinity Store and the Microsoft Store will follow shortly, hopefully early this week, after which this placeholder post will be replaced with patch announcements for each application.

If you have found these Mac App Store updates on your computer and are looking for the release notes they will be here in this forum tomorrow. If they have not shown up for you, that is quite normal as often roll out worldwide slightly slowly.

There are notes here how to find if you are on the latest version

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

live on the Mac App Store

Maybe but not necessarily under Updates.

I learned from the last update that I need to do a search for Affinity in the app store then click download.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

Works (and also always worked that way as Updates so far in the past) for me as by the App Store automatically indicated available Updates.

updates.jpg.16c7d8b043d224dc2f332f44eeed0325.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I was working in AP 1.8.1, finished project and closed AP.  I switched to Safari and Affinity Forum and read announcement of upgrade.  I checked MAS and it indicated AP recently update to 1.8.2.  I closed forum, click AP in dock, clicked AP, About and 1.8.1.  I checked MAS again, same.  I tried to open AP from MAS, only AP splash screen 1.8.1 would open (program was already open).  A restart updated AP and I confirmed 1.8.2.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

I don't have any Affinity app open during the update session. Also always when the AppStore app icon in the dock indicates that there are updates, I tend to perform those manually by reviewing what has to be updated and then performing the update clicks manually in the order I prefer. This time for the 1.8.2 updates I saw that the APhoto and ADesigner download file sizes were about 219 MB in size each. After the AppStore app performs the manually initiated updates, the Affinity apps here are always showing correctly for their indicated version level, v1.8.2 in this latest update case. - Though I have to say that I still run an older OSX version here on the home iMac.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Humorous(?) note. I can tell you one thing they fixed in this update. Export of strokes to PDF was not working correctly. Stroked type would export with unexpectedly filled in areas especially in X, Y, H characters. I was having a problem with this yesterday and spent a couple of hours trying to work around the problem. Today, I imported 1.8.2 and tried to recreate the problem so I could notify Serif of the issue. With 1.8.2 it worked great. 

Only a day late. I sent off a print job yesterday with a potential problem because I could not use strokes on text. I was going to use a non-overprinting stroke of 100K to prevent C, M and Y from a rich black background intruding on white type in that background. I thought it to be a very clever solution, but couldn't get it to work…until today. Now, I suspect I will get cards back with slightly tinted white letters. 

Ah well, glad it's fixed now.  Next time…

Mid-2011 iMac 27, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

11 hours ago, GoodIntentions said:

I just checked for updates and I do not have one 

I had to do a page reload (CMD+R) after opening the Updates page in the Mac App Store app before the updates would appear, as detailed in this post.

11 hours ago, v_kyr said:

This time for the 1.8.2 updates I saw that the APhoto and ADesigner download file sizes were about 219 MB in size each.

For whatever reason, for me on the update page the AD & AP updates were shown as about 570 MB each.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It seems that the Mac App Store is offering the 1.8.2 update.  I assume that the usual blurbs describing the changes since the last update will appear here shortly.

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

I received notification from Affinity Designer that I was on version 1.81 & that a new version was available & would I like to download and install? So I downloaded it and when I tried to install I got the following message:

1333974726_Screenshot2020-03-17at10_42_11.png.febce474590701b5859b877b6edd9b33.png

It happened twice.

Just FYI –  v.1.8.2 in Affinity Store:

I got auto-update message windows for 1.8.2 in APub + APhoto but not in ADesigner yet. After updating both apps the Studio Link works even though ADesigner still is in v. 1.8.1.
(The Affinity Store website doesn't show any 1.8.2 yet)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

21 minutes ago, drippy cat said:

I received notification from Affinity Designer that I was on version 1.81 & that a new version was available & would I like to download and install? So I downloaded it and when I tried to install I got the following message:

Was that while trying to update AD from a version you purchased from the Mac App Store (MAS) or somewhere else? AFAIK, 1.8.2 is the most current retail version so the "downgrade app from version 1.8.3" message makes no sense.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, drippy cat said:

No. I bought Affinity Designer direct from Serif and I'm working on a Mac today. & no it doesn't make sense but I'm just reporting my experience.

Thanks for clearing that up -- since this topic was about the updates going live on the MAS, that was a potential source of confusion, at least for me ... but I am old & easily confused.

For what very little it is worth, I bought only Affinity Publisher from the Affinity Store & updating that to 1.8.2 worked fine -- no weird notice about version 1.8.3 or downgrades. Instead, the update notice appeared as soon as I launched APu 1.8.1. When I clicked the 'update now' button everything worked as expected.

Affinity Photo 

Meanwhile I got the Designer auto-update + install error, too. However, the failing update doesn't do any harm and Studio Link still appears to work in Apub 1.8.2 with Designer 1.8.1.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1