You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SETUP failed for version 1.8

I have downloaded version 1.8 of Affinity photo but on installation I have a message that setup failed. No other details given.

There is now no available version of affinity photo on my PC. The old version has been removed and I cannot re-install the old version (1.7.3) this also fails.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am running microsoft windows version 10, which was updated twice yesterday, prior to that affinity photo was working. Version 1.7.3 was installed and when I opened it this morning it reported a new version available, which I downloaded and attempted to install.

The failure is definitely in the installation program.

Affinity failure.JPG

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Most often, this error can be resolved by restarting Windows, then right-clicking on the installer .exe and choosing "Run as Administrator".

If that doesn't work, there's an additional trouble-shooting steps you can take: Press the Windows key and R. Paste the following line into the dialog box and press OK:
%temp%\AffinitySetup

That will get you a File Explorer dialog, opened to the log file directories that Affinity creates during installtion. Pick the one with the latest date/time, open it, and you'll find Setup.log and SetupUI.log. You can look through them for an error message, or post them for someone else to look at. I generally start by looking in SetupUI.log and searching for the word "error".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome. Glad it worked.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, knightrr said:

Okay, this is fixed now.

Did as you suggested and was fine.

Many thanks.

Could you look for the 2 setup logs that @walt.farrell mentioned and if they are there, please can you attach them to this post? We try to identify when the installer requires a restart before we can start our install, but it's obvious that something isn't quite right here, because we're reporting it as an error, rather than telling you that a restart is required.

Hi, here are the two files requested.

It looks as though the setup failed due to needing administrator privilege. I don't recall this happening before.

I should add that another couple of programs stopped working, but the reboot successfully sorted them out, so it could be that my computer got in a muddle, as happens sometimes.

The PC is only a few weeks old.

Happy to help if you need anything else.

SetupUI.log Setup.log