You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAM usage limit 32768 MB while more RAM available

The default setting, after installing the BETA on my system right now is RAM 32768 MB, while this system has 64GB.
I can't remember (or see any reason why) that I lowered this, so I assume that I didn't set this lower (I installed the new/latest BETA today, and I am sure I did not change it for this BETA, but perhaps maybe I did on a former version and can't remember doing so).

If so, could the default be taking into account the total available amount of RAM a bit more generous? If a system has more RAM, it usually is there to make use of.
If it is limited from the get-go (installation), then users may feel the software is limited in it's ability (without ever checking the RAM limit). Windows does a fair job protecting itself from overuse of RAM, so perhaps it is worth considering to increase the RAM limit to a much higher level by default.

Thank you.

When you go to Edit /Preferences and Performance, there should be a slider to run the RAM usage higher

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

Thank you for your completion.

To emphasize, I am aware that we can change this ourselves, yet I believe it should be improved upon by default, straight out of the box: rather introduce (new) users of the software to the fastest possible scenario, making use of their machines (assuming you have this hardware to use it), and let users minimize the use of RAM when they need to, then bottlenecking everyone by default, just for those who do not want/can't use all the RAM available, because of their situation (which usually are users that check these settings and/or know their own specifics and requirements, and still want to have their exact preferred preset anyway, so the default setting most likely is off anyway).

Anyone unaware of this setting, or just giving this software a test run, will have an limited experience for no good reason.

So an artificial bottleneck of 50% more likely does not benefit anyone, then that it is likely that it will serve the majority.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey Affin,

I'm pretty sure that when you first run the retail or beta (they have different settings) it will auto-detect the maximum amount installed in the system. If you change this, any future versions you install will remember the limit set. 

It sounds like you may have changed this at some point. 

My iMac has 24 GB so my limit is set at 24576 MB

My PC has 16 GB so my limit is set at 16384 MB

So, it should detect and set itself to the maximum available. 

It might be that we do not automatically detect anything above 32 GB but I don't have access to a machine that surpasses this number and will need to check. 

Edit - just checked with a developer, this should set itself to the max available. So potentially you may have adjusted this yourself at some point. If you set it to the max now and install future versions, it should remain at the max. 

I can't think of a reason why I would ever half the memory, which I especially have because I easily fill all of it, and then exactly half, which is suggestive to a default.
So I just check again to check whether or not maybe I set it in the stable release and not in BETA, as when I discovered this, I increased it and guess what:
3AoX4Hi.jpg

It is on 32 again(?). Maybe I am going senile so I will turn it up again and then update to the next beta, which I haven't installed yet and see whether or not it happens again.
I will update after now turning it up to 64 again.
g1rMawy.jpg
Ok I will update and see, which may take a little to download and install.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.