You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Temporary at-home use for students

Adobe have just announced that they are making their whole Creative Cloud available for student use at home till May 31st due to the ongoing campus closures during the COVID-19 issues.

Are Affinity going to to be doing something similar? This would be a good opportunity for Affinity to start to really challenge Adobe in education?

Thanks. Ian

I don´t think this is possible since Adobe-software is only available via a subscription model.
Because of that, they can disable your license at any time = they can offer time-limited "gifts".

Serif offers the Affinity-Software as purchased product = they can not remotely disable your license at the end of a certain period.

Fritz

5 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

they can not remotely disable your license at the end of a certain period

Sure? There are 10-day-trials for the Affinity applications. They could expand it to a 30-days-trial. I don't know if it is possible to bind the functioning of the application to a specific date.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Sure? There are 10-day-trials for the Affinity applications. They could expand it to a 30-days-trial. I don't know if it is possible to bind the functioning of the application to a specific date.

Since it is not possible to extend the Trial period beyond the current maximum of ten days (even Serif staff cannot do this, apparently) I suspect this limit may well be hard-coded in the installer.  Hence, to change this would potentially involve rewriting the installer?  

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

27 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

Since it is not possible to extend the Trial period beyond the current maximum of ten days (even Serif staff cannot do this, apparently) I suspect this limit may well be hard-coded in the installer.  Hence, to change this would potentially involve rewriting the installer?  

Volume customers (educational and business) get a 30-day trial, I believe.

So something could be done.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Volume customers (educational and business) get a 30-day trial, I believe.

So something could be done.

Agreed.  But presumably, the volume installer is coded "differently" and the fact that it is intended for "volume" installations at least implies it is not designed for single-machine/single-user installation?

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

As well, the temporary offering by Adobe isn't just for any student.

The institution has to already have a site license, only the institution can obtain the offer for the temp licenses and then give them to their current students.

• Staff

We welcome any companies attempts to support the creative industries at this difficult time.

Serif will announce on social media any changes as a consequence of the COVID-19 virus. We are already working from home, (as of Tuesday).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind

The effects of the COVID-19 pandemic have severely impacted people all over the world. To provide some support during this incredibly difficult time, we’re now offering a 90-day free trial of all the Mac and Windows versions of the whole Affinity suite. We’re also offering a 50% discount for users who would prefer to buy and keep the apps, including iPad versions.

https://affinity.serif.com/supporting-the-creative-community/

That’s why we’ve put in place three new measures which we hope will help at least some of you out there. These are:

• +A new 90-day free trial of the Mac and Windows versions of the whole Affinity suite
  • +A 50% discount for those who would rather buy and keep the apps on Mac, Windows PC and iPad
  • +A pledge to engage more than 100 freelance creatives for work, spending the equivalent of our annual commissioning budget in the next three months

In addition, by increasing our spend on commissioning work from freelancers we can also put some extra money into a part of the industry which will be particularly affected.

We plan to make the free trial and additional discount available until 20 April, but we’ll continue to review the situation as time goes on.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Voila for all you sharers
FACEBOOK

TWITTER

and tell others worldwide 

http://affin.co/WeWantToHelp

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

I thank you Serif, as I have two teenage grandsons at home, from school.  I hope this encourages them them to test their creative skills.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Even though this does not affect me directly..I have the apps and are obsessed with them!:) 

This is a fantastic gesture and I am sure many people will appreciate it!....Just confirms to me ..making the switch to support this suite of apps is absolutely worth every second of my time..and thanks again!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

+1 to everything @StuartRc wrote.

• Staff
12 minutes ago, Fritz_H said:

just as a precautionary measure or are there any infections in the Serif-Team?

Purely precautionary. Being computer based it has been relatively straightforward, taking a week or so to facilitate. Some staff now have coughs.... nobody is very ill AFAIK

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 3 weeks later...

To provide some support during this incredibly difficult time, we’re now offering a 90-day free trial of all the Mac and Windows versions of the whole Affinity suite. We’re also offering a 50% discount for users who would prefer to buy and keep the apps, including iPad versions.

This is absolutely fantastic - Thank you

• 5 months later...