You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will Designer ever have tracing capabilities

2 hours ago, JET_Affinity said:

Only about 35 years of it.

JET

It doesn't matter if you have 500 years of experience.  Everything you've said is incorrect.  Absolutely everything.  I could go line by line and prove it but why bother.  You have an agenda.  You have decided that you hate Adobe so facts are unimportant.  Good luck with that.

I use tracing mainly for adding stressed/textural elements to my graphics work. It’s also helpful for getting rough approximations of real shapes or images you want to block out on the art board. And for those very edge cases of not being able to find the proper typeface. It’s not a top priority feature for me but I find myself missing it from time to time. That said, it has been 2 years since I’ve first seen it requested on these forums and I’m wondering what the progress on it is like beyond “it’s not ready yet”. 

19 hours ago, Kuttyjoe said:

It doesn't matter if you have 500 years of experience.

You're the one who challenged everyone who disagrees with you on the basis if their 'lack of experience.'

Everything you've said is incorrect.  Absolutely everything.  I could go line by line and prove it but why bother.

Or, you could simply post some "before and after" examples demonstrating how, when, and why auto-tracing is so essential and why you can't use a separate utility program for it.

Stop with your ad hominem insults. The discussion here is about a feature.

JET

You're the one who challenged everyone who disagrees with you on the basis if their 'lack of experience.

Exactly, what good is your 35 years of experience, when everything you say is wrong?  It makes no sense.  I'm expressing how this tool is being used by my own experiences. For decades.  Those are facts, not nonsensical speculation.  But you're here telling us that it only has certain uses, and the results are never better than this or that.  Those are lies.  It's that simple.

Or, you could simply post some "before and after" examples demonstrating how, when, and why auto-tracing is so essential and why you can't use a separate utility program for it.

First of all, I never said you "can't" or "shouldn't" use a separate program for tracing.  I questioned why you would argue in favor of it being a separate program.  I used it as a separate program during the 90's when Adobe had a separate program called Streamline, and Corel had a separate program called "Corel Trace".  You probably don't remember those with your 35 years of amazing, all knowing experience.  A better question is, why NOT bring these functions into a single program?  People are using this feature daily, several times a day, everyday.  Count the steps.  1. Open a separate program. 2. Import an image.  3. Trace it. 4. Save it.  5. Open another program. 6. import that trace result into the 2nd program. 6 steps.  Or you could,  1. Import the image into your already open main program. 2. Trace it.  2 steps.  It's 6 steps, vs 2 steps x however often you do it.  Do the math.

As for it being essential, I've already detailed that in a rather long-winded post above.  Everything is essential, and nothing is essential.  It depends on the work you're doing.  90% of Serif's DrawPlus, and Affinity Designer are not essential, for me.  I have enough sense to understand that.  With that little bit of common sense, I can refrain from concluding, therefore these things also can not be essential to anybody else because I have 35 years of experience and I know things.

47 minutes ago, JET_Affinity said:

Kuttyjoe, again; stop with your personal insults. You don't know me from Adam, and I don't care one whit whether you 'like' me. We are here to discuss software. Either keep it to that, or shut up.

JET

I'm not sure what you're calling personal insults, but whatever that is, I don't think it's worse than you constantly spreading false information.  How about this.  Tell the truth, or shut up.  Deal?