You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to override text box size on an active page

I would like to be able to make subtle changes to a text box size and placement on an active page that uses a Master page to locate the text box initially.  I just need to nudge the box a bit in one case and make a slight size change in another case.  I can't find a way to control the text box while on the active document page.  I can do this in InDesign and would love to know how to do it in Affinity Publisher

While on the document page, look in the Layers panel. Right-click on the Master Page layer that provides the Text Frame you want to adjust, and choose Edit Detached. Make your changes to the position or size of the frame, then click Finished.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome. Glad it helped :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for this, it is very helpful.

I'm new to Publisher after using QXP since 2000.

Just wondered though if this is possible over a longer 100 page doc for instance. I'm re-purposing a design into Publisher to use from now on; in QXP I have text boxes on master pages that then can just been edited on the page, moved/re-sized etc., is that not possible in Publisher? Having a basic text frame on master pages (editable) means I don't have to draw one or copy for every page. I understand the need for the integrity of the master in a Publisher page but releasing a master page, per page, for every page, every time there's a change in position or re-size of the text frame seems a little slow going.

best

Martin

21 minutes ago, Cowtoon said:

Just wondered though if this is possible over a longer 100 page doc for instance. I'm re-purposing a design into Publisher to use from now on; in QXP I have text boxes on master pages that then can just been edited on the page, moved/re-sized etc., is that not possible in Publisher? Having a basic text frame on master pages (editable) means I don't have to draw one or copy for every page. I understand the need for the integrity of the master in a Publisher page but releasing a master page, per page, for every page, every time there's a change in position or re-size of the text frame seems a little slow going.

No, in Publisher if you want to move or resize something that a document page inherited from a master page you need to use Edit Detached.

If you have a document where many document pages need a text frame, but they need to be different sizes or positions, you probably should not use a Master Page for them. There are other choices, such as putting Guides on a Master Page to help you draw a basic Text Frame on document pages that need it. Or saving a basic Text Frame as an Asset, and when you need one, dragging it from the Assets panel.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Walt,

Thanks for thr reply. That is very useful information. I must admit that I very new to Publisher and working through things as they come up in real situations to get a grip of the app. while making the transition, I haven't quite got to the assets panel yet but it sounds like that's my next bit of research. Thanks again.

You're welcome, @Cowtoon.

-- Walt
PC: