You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[FIXED] PSD - file type not supported

Trying to open a .psd file with any of the Affinity apps is failing for me for the first time.

Other PSD files are opening just fine in Affinity, however this specific file I have just won't open. The apps hang for a bit, trying to load, only to return with an error "File type is not supported".

Anyone had this issue before? Is there a setting/feature on the original PSD that prevents it from being open?

Thanks!

P.S. Unfortunately, I cannot share the troubling file publicly

What is the file size, in MB?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, leshido said:

It's 164.4 MB

Will, that's certainly within the size limits. Does that file open in other applications that support PSD files?

If so, you may need to share the file, but Serif can provide a private upload link so only their staff can look at it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi leshido :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

We're going to need a copy of this .PSD to investigate this further, could you please upload this to the following link then let me know once this has been completed?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/0Ldq45SwkMVTUKEdcsPG

I'll ensure this file remains private and is removed once we no longer require it!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

17 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi leshido :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

We're going to need a copy of this .PSD to investigate this further, could you please upload this to the following link then let me know once this has been completed?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/0Ldq45SwkMVTUKEdcsPG

I'll ensure this file remains private and is removed once we no longer require it!

Thanks @Dan C , I've just uploaded the file.

Hope you'll find the culprit!

• Staff

Many thanks for your document, I can confirm that I'm seeing the same issue as you with this file, even after re-saving the document directly in Photoshop.

Unfortunately I'm not certain of the cause for this currently so I'll be logging this file with our developers now for further investigation, many thanks for your report!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (User file PSD imports with ' file type not supported ' error) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you,

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

14 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (User file PSD imports with ' file type not supported ' error) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you,

Just updated and tested again with the same file. It now opens with no problems and looks very true to the original PSD file.

Amazing, thanks!

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @MRBarron,

Welcome to the forums :)

I can confirm this PSD is using Indexed Colour, set in Photoshop under Image > Mode > Indexed Colour. Unfortunately this 'mode' is not compatible with Affinity apps, hence the error you're seeing.

If you open this file in Photoshop and convert the document to a universal colour space, such as RGB or CMYK and then save the document once more, you should find that Affinity is able to open it!

Please note -

Many thanks!

15 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @MRBarron,

I can confirm this PSD is using Indexed Colour, set in Photoshop under Image > Mode > Indexed Colour. Unfortunately this 'mode' is not compatible with Affinity apps, hence the error you're seeing.

If you open this file in Photoshop and convert the document to a universal colour space, such as RGB or CMYK and then save the document once more, you should find that Affinity is able to open it!

Well, I was able to open it, but I am not seeing the layers...I'm not quite sure what to do next. Attached is the altered .PSD.

Faith_Baptist_Logo.psd

• Staff

Thanks for your file, I've opened this in Photoshop and there are no layers that don't show in Affinity - this is simply 1 Pixel layer saved in the PSD format.

What are you expecting to see? You may want to contact whomever has provided this file to you.

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 3 months later...

When opening this file with PS CS6 I get a warning about unknown data and gives me the options layers / reduction. AP should do the same here. Krita opens the file with no warning, but I do not know if the output is correct?

video-card-thumbnail-krita.psd

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Hi @Evan Scheidegger,

11 hours ago, Evan Scheidegger said:

I am also having this issue.  Some of my psd files open fine while others do not.  My version of Affinity is 1.9.0.932.

I'm very sorry to hear your file is not importing correctly, I too am seeing an error when trying to import this file and I will therefore log this with our developers now.

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

When opening this file with PS CS6 I get a warning about unknown data and gives me the options layers / reduction. AP should do the same here.

Thanks for the information! Interestingly when opening this file in PS 2020 I don't see any such warning, but I'll be sure to add this to the development log also :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

6 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

When opening this file with PS CS6 I get a warning about unknown data and gives me the options layers / reduction. AP should do the same here. Krita opens the file with no warning, but I do not know if the output is correct?

video-card-thumbnail-krita.psd 532.04 kB · 2 downloads

Thanks for that!  That output looks correct.  But like Dan, I'm not getting any warning when opening in PS.

4 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Evan Scheidegger,

I'm very sorry to hear your file is not importing correctly, I too am seeing an error when trying to import this file and I will therefore log this with our developers now.

Thanks for the information! Interestingly when opening this file in PS 2020 I don't see any such warning, but I'll be sure to add this to the development log also :)

Thank you, Dan!  I appreciate the attention.

Just now, Evan Scheidegger said:

But like Dan, I'm not getting any warning when opening in PS.

Perhaps because I am using a dinosaur PS version.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same trouble as the original poster. While many PSD files open, some of them are not. I get a 'The file type is not supported' message.

Here are the details involving one such file:

• MacBook Pro - macOS Catalina 10.15.7
  • File saved from Photoshop 2021 in RGB 
  • Attempted to open with Affinity Photo 1.9.0

I want to drop Adobe and pick up Affinity, but I need to be able to open up my old Photoshop files. I'm really hoping we can make this work.

(I'm also trying to upload the file here, but am getting a pop-up error message that just says -200.)

• Staff

Hi @Lucas G,

Welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble here also!

Thanks for the information provided, the -200 error you were seeing is usually due to the files size (both in MBs and physical pixel dimensions) so I have provided an upload link below for you - 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/5qmizi9z1rzqtfrGC3yY

Please do let me know once this is uploaded and we can look into this further for you :D

Please note -

Many thanks!