You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Textframe-tool from Publisher to Designer please

I can't understand why a feature, that's includet in Publisher isn't available in Designer and vice versa? To draw a Object an then create a text-Object an put it over the 1st object is 20 century technology (or earlier). All other Vector Grafic Programms are able to edit Textframe and includet text separatly. When Serif was developping Designer haven't they never thougt about this essential feature? 

I think the request may for the capabilities of Publisher's Text Frame studio panel, which allows one to control the stroke and fill of the frame when one has converted a shape into a text frame.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yep, I think @RainerH is requesting the features from the text frame studio in Publisher. Makes sense!

image.png.80757066b155f629635f7cd89c8e0f60.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 hours ago, RainerH said:

I've found no way to change the filling or border after changing it into a text frame. F. e. For creating a button or a label.

The only way currently is to use Publisher, or to duplicate your shape and change one into a text frame. The duplicate can then have the stroke and fill adjusted. You can group them to make sure they move together. It's just one or two more clicks :)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 1 year later...

I think the Frame Text Studio would be a great addition to AffDen because they are two vastly different workflows in need of managing text.  AffPub of course manages workflows through pagination, but AffDen manages workflows through artboards. Each app serves hugely different purposes, one is flat and one is hierarchal. There's no real reason to be restricting AffDen from providing a way for text content to be managed with the defined set of parameters that is possible and available with the Frame Text Studio. Pls add it to AffDen!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Back on here squeaking this wheel. The Text Frame tool deserves to be in Designer.  Adding it no way overlaps with Publisher since content is managed completely different in both apps, pagination vs artboards. Pls add this to Designer! 

1 hour ago, rjvela82 said:

The Text Frame tool deserves to be in Designer.

The Text Frame Tool is in Designer. It's the Text Frame panel that's missing. Yes, it would be useful in Designer, too.

Serif seems to be saying, though, that text functions like that are better done in Publisher. You can work on Artboard-based projects in Publisher, too, so if you own both you can just use Publisher for everything in Designer that doesn't need the Export Persona.

-- Walt
PC:

On 5/3/2022 at 2:29 PM, walt.farrell said:

Serif seems to be saying, though, that text functions like that are better done in Publisher. 

Okay I get it, I guess I'll use the "Edit in..." options to switch between apps when I have to touch the text frame panel. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, rjvela82 said:

I guess I'll use the "Edit in..." options to switch between apps when I have to touch the text frame panel. Thanks.

You're welcome.

Note, too, that you can do anything in Publisher that you can do in Designer, except use the Export Persona. So as an alternative, you could do all your work in Publisher, and just use Edit in Designer if you need the Export Persona.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, rjvela82 said:

Everybody, look.... I couldn't believe my eyes.  

Only found it because I'm trying to do text on a curve path. Clicking random buttons and the Text Frame shows up. Case closed.

I'm afraid its presence there is a known bug on the Mac, scheduled to be fixed (removed) someday.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RainerH said:

Mankind dives to the deepest points of the sea and flies to the moon, but fails to access an existing but hidden feature in Affinity Designer... very strange... 

As I mentioned above, it's only on the Mac, not Windows, and is a bug that's planned for removal.

-- Walt
PC:

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

As I mentioned above, it's only on the Mac, not Windows, and is a bug that's planned for removal.

The bug is on Windows for not including it. The Text Frame is formatting tool for text layers, so it should absolutely be part of Affinity Designer. 

1 minute ago, rjvela82 said:

The bug is on Windows for not including it.

Not according to the Serif staff, who have said it is not supposed to be present on the Mac.

-- Walt
PC:

• 7 months later...