You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: Text as Palette - Not Modal

It would be great to have it as a palette instead of a modal. I also noticed that sometime I'm Cmd+T and start typing a font size (42pt) and the selected text changes to "42" - It's almost as if (it is) that even though the Text Modal is visible the text selection takes precedence. This seems like a focus issue. 

I just tired to replicate the issue and the sollution is to double click the text modal input field BEFORE typing. That extra click is killing me. Cmd+T Should yield a IN FOCUS text modal (please make it a palette) with the font weight selected. 

Ideal Steps:

1) Type some copy

2) Select all Cmd+A

3) Cmd+T to reveal the text modal

4) Input "42"

5) Press return

6) Text Updates.

That extra click is killing me.

OK, no answer yet. We all have those issues. And the answer was up to now e.g. “is not a massive time overhead in the big scheme of things“. Well, it is a question of usability if a software wants to kill us. Hoping the software gets less cheap and things get better and better more quickly. Real progress would be e.g.: the input of cu42mm would result in real 42 mm big underlined caps … cu next month? ;-)

• 1 month later...

It's a usability issue regardless. It's unexpected behavior, and these "little things" as you put it, pile up, and I can't get behind a decision to "visit usability at a latter time." The core features are great, it's the little things that make this application NOT worth leaving Illustrator. Sure, you have to "unlearn" a bunch of stuff, but there should be some semblance of intuitive interactions. Micro interactions are a key component of a users workflow, especially in design, where repeated interruptions become a key consideration when contemplating abandoning a tool.

This bug, coupled with the lack of ESC/Dismiss modal quick-key is a frustrating recipe. 

TL;DR - You shouldn't have to unlearn anything to get on-boarded.