You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change in contrast after merging layers

Assuming you are using Layer > Merge Selected this changed in 1.8 compared to 1.7

You will get different results depending on the order you select the layers to be merged.

E.g. If you select the top layer first then the bottom layer Merge Selected will give you a different result than if you select the bottom layer first then the top layer.

Not sure if this is what is causing your problem but it is something you should be aware of

There are a few other threads regarding the above issue but no definitive answer as to whether this change is deliberate or a bug

You may want to look at Merge Visible or Document > Flatten to see what results they produce in your document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 3/15/2020 at 12:49 PM, carl123 said:

Assuming you are using Layer > Merge Selected this changed in 1.8 compared to 1.7

You will get different results depending on the order you select the layers to be merged.

E.g. If you select the top layer first then the bottom layer Merge Selected will give you a different result than if you select the bottom layer first then the top layer.

Not sure if this is what is causing your problem but it is something you should be aware of

There are a few other threads regarding the above issue but no definitive answer as to whether this change is deliberate or a bug

You may want to look at Merge Visible or Document > Flatten to see what results they produce in your document

This suggestion looks useful. I will try both methods of merging layers and see. Thank you very much. 

• Staff

Hi drjskatre,
Thanks for providing the files but I need the original .afphoto file you are working with (not the JPG's showing the differences) so i can diagnose what's causing the issue. Changing the order you select the layers shouldn't affect the result of the merge operation. If it does something is wrong/buggy.

Can you upload the afphoto file using the same upload link i provided in my previous reply please? Thank you.

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi drjskatre,
Thanks for providing the files but I need the original .afphoto file you are working with (not the JPG's showing the differences) so i can diagnose what's causing the issue. Changing the order you select the layers shouldn't affect the result of the merge operation. If it does something is wrong/buggy.

Can you upload the afphoto file using the same upload link i provided in my previous reply please? Thank you.

Seems impossible. It was the stack of 25 images, and each image was a 50 mp file from Canon 5Ds. After merging I saved it in the jpeg format. I don't see a way to find  .afphoto file. 

• Staff

If you exported the final document as a JPG then all layers were gone (JPG's don't support layers among other features). When you are working in a project always save it in our native format (.afphoto) so you can keep all edits intact. To do it go to menu File > Save As and give the file a name. Basically i need the file as shown in your first screenshot where the layers are all still there before you merged them. What command have you used to "merge" all layers exactly?

10 hours ago, MEB said:

If you exported the final document as a JPG then all layers were gone (JPG's don't support layers among other features). When you are working in a project always save it our native format (.afphoto) so you can keep all edits intact. To do it go to menu File > Save As and give the file a name. Basically i need the file as shown in your first screenshot where the layers are all still there before you merged them. What command have you used to "merge" all layers exactly?

I will try the same image again and save it with layers, and get back to you. Thanks for your support. Regards, 

Jitendra