You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can we please get alpha lock and edit lock for layers?

Both of these features are something I have come to miss after using Affinity for a while. While you can use Protect Alpha on some brushes, it is not quite the same as alpha locking layers, since doing that actually works on more than just brushes. I used the Smudge and Blur tools combined with alpha lock to avoid bleeding over my finished silhouettes, which I think would be very useful in Affintiy as well.

Edit lock just speaks for itself, but I'm doing it anyway. When you feel that you're done with a layer you should be allowed to permanently lock it to avoid accidental edits like brush strokes. I think this is pretty straight forward.

• 3 months later...

Agreed on both items.  There should be a way to truly lock a layer (from everything, and not just selection)... and,  ya, I was surprised when I realized that Alpha Lock doesn't protect alpha from blurs!  So many times, I want to blur the content (ex. grain, strokes) inside a stroke/shape, but keep the edges as they are.

On 3/13/2020 at 9:55 PM, Frozen Death Knight said:

alpha locking

Try clicking the pencil icon next to Composite Alpha on the Channels panel.  It locks for all layers at once rather than for an individual layer but for at least some of what is being described here that should be sufficient?

• 8 months later...
On 6/18/2020 at 4:34 PM, fde101 said:

Try clicking the pencil icon next to Composite Alpha on the Channels panel.  It locks for all layers at once rather than for an individual layer but for at least some of what is being described here that should be sufficient?

Not comfortable, but it works at least! Thank you.👍