You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

multiple page pdfs in Publisher

Is there still no way to place multi-page pdfs in Publisher without putting each page in edit more? I don't need to edit them, just place them on the pages. I can place the file and see the entire document in edit mode, but not place it all on operate pages. Maybe it's just a technique I missed somehow. 

• Staff

When using the Place command to add a PDF you are only able to place a single page, you can open the PDF file as a new document and this will load all of the pages then save this as a .afpub file then open the document that you want to place the multi page PDF into and use the new Add Pages from File  command and select the .afpub file and you can then add all of the pages to your document.

I did not see that command before, thanks for that!

When I use it, however,  makes the pages editable and introduces all sorts of errors. I just need the PDFs as they are, there should be an option to not make the pages editable when importing. BTW using that command you can import the PDF directly  without having to make a new .apub document and them importing that. Saves a step or two! I hate the idea of saving the pages as tif files and importing that way. 

Just now, Blaubär said:

There’s another problem on multi page pdfs.

I have an AP document with a multi-pdf-document placed – all by hand, page 1 to 1 etc.   ...  :(

Now if I change my source document and update it in the AP document it will change every page to page 1 of the pdf.

What can I do?

I have that problem too! I thought I was doing something wrong. 

Tested it right now and have no problems. There is no difference if the option is checked to automatically update external sources. So an example file + the linked PDF uploading here would be good, so others can have a look as well.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

13 minutes ago, Blaubär said:

I have an AP document with a multi-pdf-document placed – all by hand, page 1 to 1 etc.   ...  :(

Now if I change my source document and update it in the AP document it will change every page to page 1 of the pdf.

There are two approaches you could have taken to placing the multiple pages:

1. Actually use File > Place multiple times, specifying a different page number for each; or
  2. Using File > Place once, then Copying the layer from page 1, pasting it onto page 2 and changing the page number. Then pasting it onto page 3 and changing the page number.

It might help to know which of those you did, but approach 1 works properly for me and keeps the original page numbers when the linked document is changed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Personally I would not be placing PDF's into Publisher at this time. Too many issues with fonts as it wants to make it editable and there is no pass through option to avoid it. 

If you are dead set on using Publisher then you could outline all the fonts in PDF if you have Acrobat Pro. All text will be vector so no loss of quality and images and other vector objects are left untouched. 

Sorry, my explanation wasn’t quite correct.

Next try:

- I am starting with an AP document named „S“ (size: DIN A4).

- Saving as a pdf „S.pdf“ (still in DIN A4)

- Now a new AP document named „P“ in letter format.

• First page: place „S.pdf“, adjust height to 279.4mm
  • Duplicate page (= p2), select page 2 of „source pdf“
  • Duplicate page (= p3), select page 3 of „source pdf“
  • and so on

- At last write a pdf from „P“ -> P.pdf

Please do not ask: I’ll have to work with these formats (A4 + letter).
My source will always be S (DIN A4) and P (letter) will be the file to be printed.

Now my problem: I want to use the AP file „P“ for the next revised edition of „S“, say °S2“.
So in the resource manager of "P" I just want to change all instances of "S.pdf" to "S2.pdf".
Indesign says „has a new name….“, the rest works fine. But Publisher fills all the pages of P with page 1 of S2.

3 hours ago, Blaubär said:

Sorry, my explanation wasn’t quite correct.

Next try:

- I am starting with an AP document named „S“ (size: DIN A4).

- Saving as a pdf „S.pdf“ (still in DIN A4)

- Now a new AP document named „P“ in letter format.

• First page: place „S.pdf“, adjust height to 279.4mm
  • Duplicate page (= p2), select page 2 of „source pdf“
  • Duplicate page (= p3), select page 3 of „source pdf“
  • and so on

- At last write a pdf from „P“ -> P.pdf

Please do not ask: I’ll have to work with these formats (A4 + letter).
My source will always be S (DIN A4) and P (letter) will be the file to be printed.

Now my problem: I want to use the AP file „P“ for the next revised edition of „S“, say °S2“.
So in the resource manager of "P" I just want to change all instances of "S.pdf" to "S2.pdf".
Indesign says „has a new name….“, the rest works fine. But Publisher fills all the pages of P with page 1 of S2.

I think that is basically my scenario 2. I would suggest, instead of duplicating the page with the PDF already placed on it, that you create a new page and Placing the PDF again. Basically, my scenario 1. You cancreate a placeholder picture frame to place the PDF into so they're all placed identically on the page.

It might also be necessary to keep the file name "S" the same when it's time for the new edition. So, rename S to S-v1, and create a new S for the revision. And then tell Publisher to Update. (I haven't tried it with a changed filename; I know it works with the same filename as that was my scenario 1.)

You can try that with a 2- or 3-page document to confirm whether it works for you.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

17 hours ago, Blaubär said:

Placing the pdf again on every new (empty) page does not work either.

So renaming the new files (to the old names) seems to be the only workaround. Not very comfortable, but working.

Thanks.

:(

Had another try, does not work.
Taking a new pdf file with the old name results in pdf-page-1 on every page as well.