You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there

I have just bought Affinity Photo and am having trouble operating the crop tool.

I select 6in x 4in and it gives me a grid. I click inside it to try and drag it and it starts to draw a new grid.

If I select Absolute Dimensions and set 6x4 inches, it provides the grid, which can be dragged around, but then trying to resize it means that it won't be constrained to those dimensions.

Only if I set it to Custom Ratio and 6 x 4 pixels does it seem to behave properly. I also can't seem to switch from pixels to inches.

I have been used to Photoshop where you can easily drag the crop selection about, and constrain the dimensions with the use of the shift key.

I'm completely aware that I might be doing something wrong, as I have only just bought it, but if someone could help it would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Steve.

• Staff

Hello stevebearne,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's still some issues with Crop that need fine tuning.

Meanwhile do this:

- resize the initial crop and move it to the middle of your photo, only then change the mode to 6" x 4" from the dropdown. It should resize the crop to those dimensions and you should be able to move it without starting drawing a new crop grid.

I'm logging this issue to be looked at.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

It kind of works - I can resize to 6x4 and move that grid around the photo. But when it comes to changing the size of that crop box to suit the picture, the dimensions are not constrained.

Any help on this please?

Steve.

Noting that I've experienced the inability to constrain the crop as well when resizing. I was using 6x4 as well. in Develop Persona. I noted that when I used Original Size it remained constrained when resizing with the corner.

One might expect that holding Shift while resizing from a corner but that did not work when using 6x4.

Additionally perhaps a "lock" icon could lock the aspect ratio.