Jump to content

Why so many bugs in 1.8?


Recommended Posts

Like many, I have come across a variety of issues / bugs in 1.8. So my question is, why do we have so many bugs in the public release considering the lengthy beta testing that goes on? I just don't understand how so many bugs could have gone unnoticed during the testing phase.

I absolutely love Affinity products, but it kind of makes me wonder if I've made the right choice in switching from Adobe software, even more so when much needed tools keep getting pushed aside with every release.

Anyway,  I hope future releases are much more production ready when they reach the public, because I really don't want to have to fire up my Adobe subscription again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

It's interesting isn't it - as you say the beta versions have been available for many months now. Assuming you're referring to the Windows versions, we didn't receive a single report of a user failing to start the application during the beta process (due to the font related crashes we've been seeing), and even with several user reports of the crash in the retail versions, we have still not found a reliable way to reproduce the issue (though we think we've fixed it in the latest beta version).

We are investigating the reasons as to why the beta process didn't catch these crashes, and looking at ways that we can potentially improve the process in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response Mark, yes I'm a Windows user.

I understand these things can be difficult to catch so I won't be too hard on you guys, I just wanted to share my thoughts on things as someone who relies on the software for work.

While I haven't used the beta versions previously, I might have to give them a go from time to time and do my part reporting any issues I encounter.

Again, I love the software you guys have created, and like yourself I really just want the best out of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

We are investigating the reasons as to why the beta process didn't catch these crashes, and looking at ways that we can potentially improve the process in the future.

Hi mark don't know if this is possible but i have been apart of propellerheads public beta for there software reason, the way how they do it is  presenting a system were they tell you all you need to test that have been big issues  or new added features are concentrated on and once a new beta is out everyone has to test each bug that is claimed to be fixed also they have a separate section where everyone can see all the bugs that have been reported  and once there been fixed that bug report will be closed so everyone can see . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

we didn't receive a single report of a user failing to start the application during the beta process

If that was the only bug, then that would be a fair argument. How about all of the other issues?

There are lots of fundamental bugs, not things that are just down to people having odd hardware/driver conflicts which need to be found in the wild.

I like the software, I really like the pricing model, but I was stung by this update. I'd like to think that Serif view this release as a mistake to learn from and not repeat. The release-then-fix approach is fine for non business software, but the success of Affinity means there are now a lot of users who rely on this to be functional day to day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2020 at 6:15 PM, BofG said:

If that was the only bug, then that would be a fair argument. How about all of the other issues?

There are lots of fundamental bugs, not things that are just down to people having odd hardware/driver conflicts which need to be found in the wild.

I like the software, I really like the pricing model, but I was stung by this update. I'd like to think that Serif view this release as a mistake to learn from and not repeat. The release-then-fix approach is fine for non business software, but the success of Affinity means there are now a lot of users who rely on this to be functional day to day.

It's really not a great look for those who rely on the software for work. I'm just hoping Serif sort these issues out quickly and we don't see a repeat in future updates. Sadly if we do, I'll regrettably have to switch back to Adobe and will no longer be able to recommend the products, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.