You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP File name vs File Title?

Hi,

Please direct me to the thread that addresses this if it's already been asked. I found a surprise in Affinity Photo 1.8.x in that the file's name no longer was the same as the file's title. I discovered this while editing a .tif file, saving as .aphoto, and processing it as needed. Upon exporting the file to .jpg, I often resize it down and modify the file name only slightly. For example, the initial file in Affinity Photo has a suffix letter "a" and when the exported version as .jpg is a different size, I save that version with suffix "b." But when uploading the export to, say, Flickr, the file name (Title) still shows as suffix "a" instead of "b." Opening the .jpg on the Mac with Preview and clicking the Info button, then the IPTC tab reveals the actual Title. I've attached a screen capture.

This is not a problem, it only means I need to take an additional step that I didn't have to take before. I'm not sure when this started but I think it's with version 1.8

Screen Shot 2020-03-12.png

I found what I believe to be a bug in AP 1.8.x. where my work flow sets the original file Title as the new "Save as..." file Title, regardless of the newly saved file name. I've attached a screen capture from AP 1.8.1 on Mac and tried to resolve the Title value by editing it within AP. But it doesn't save the edit and when exporting to, say, .jpg, the file Title is still incorrect. Is anyone else seeing this?

Thank you ;-)

Metadata 2020-03-12.png

Personally I would not want the metadata title to change when I save/export the file with a different file name. If I gave a title to an image I would expect it to keep that title no matter what the file name was. As an analogy, I wouldn’t change the title of a picture just because it was displayed/stored in a different room.
I’ve just done a quick test on Windows 10, changing the title and exporting the image, and the title in the exported image was the title I gave it and not the file name. This works as I would expect and want.

File names (like you see in Finder or in the document header of apps like Affinity or Preview) & embedded metadata tags like Title are two different things, each of which can be & usually are different. There never has been any automatic sync to set them to the same text in Affinity, so if you want to make them the same in Affinity, set the file name to the Title when you export or do a 'Save as' to save the file as a native format one.

Note also that depending on the file system you are saving to, certain characters that are allowed in embedded metadata tags like Title may not be allowed in a file name in that file system.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks R C-R and GarryP,

I found a quirk and figured it out: Within Affinity Photo, make a dramatic change to a file and use Save as... while keeping it an Affinity Photo file and renaming it as needed. The quirk is that upon opening the Metadata tab, File selection, the original Title persists (see the second screen capture above where saving file suffix a after resizing and saving as file suffix b) by itself does not modify the Title value in metadata. So,  editing only the suffix in metadata and again choosing Save as... did not save that new Title. Oddly, it works when I delete the whole title value and reenter it as needed, then save again. Now I got it working ;-)

Edited by jkehoe
typo