You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello! I need svg files for my laser cutter. After export to svg (I have all settings tested) the size isn't the size I have made it. The same document I have open and export in Adobe Illustrator - it works - the size is right. What can I do? I doesn't work more with adobe.

What size did you make it, and what size did you get?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks. And what is the DPI of your document? (Sorry; should have asked that, too.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I am having a similar issue with my CNC plasma cutter.. I created a 22x22 inch artboad at 300 dpi and then created text on a path, converted to curves and exported as a SVG. When I bring it into my CAM program it is way too big. 

10 hours ago, OliverR said:

I export a object who is 100 x 100 millimeters. After open it is 477,8 x 416,7 millimeters.

300(DPI) / 72(DPI) = 4.167 which accounts for your second figure (416.7mm)

But not sure where the 477.8mm is coming from

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Don't you have to uncheck the viewbox option under the More... settings when exporting to get actual size? I think it's because the viewbox is set to 100% worth a try though. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I have tried many of the setting and export to SVG and I am getting either too big or too small. I set up a 22" x 22" document which matches my metal size. My CNC software is set up for inches and designer is setup for inches. If I knew what native units affinity works in, I could calculate a scale factor. 

2 hours ago, txrpls said:

I have tried many of the setting and export to SVG and I am getting either too big or too small. I set up a 22" x 22" document which matches my metal size. My CNC software is set up for inches and designer is setup for inches. If I knew what native units affinity works in, I could calculate a scale factor. 

If you set your document DPI to 72 and turn off the viewbox option on export it should work.

If it doesn't, can you provide a sample .afdesign document that doesn't work so we can check it?

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here is a sample file with a circle radius 50mm and a square 20mm per side. Export svg at 72 dpi, viewbox option turned off.

Then file is open Rhino 3D, circle is radius 141.733mm and square side is 56.693mm.

The other way round is fine, from Rhino 3D to Affinity designer the scale is kept.

Any idea?

Thanks

Sans titre.afdesign

• 9 months later...

I'm also having this issue. If I have something of a certain width in mm or inches in Designer, it imports in other programs at a different size.  This is a huge issue when I'm trying to get accurate cuts on a laser.  To get close, I'm just doing what one of the people above alluded to.  E.g., I have a design that's 20 inches wide.  Everything else (Inkscape, Lighburn) imports it as 15 inches wide. 15/20 = 0.75.  72dpi/0.75 = 96dpi.  So when I export from Designer I have to change it from 72 to 96 dpi.  This seemed to get me close to the right number (it's a couple decimal places off still when I import). 

On 3/12/2020 at 8:15 PM, OliverR said:

Hello! I need svg files for my laser cutter. After export to svg (I have all settings tested) the size isn't the size I have made it. The same document I have open and export in Adobe Illustrator - it works - the size is right. What can I do? I doesn't work more with adobe.

Made a quick test:

Made drawing (web sized document in Designer: 800 x 600 pixels @400 DPI)

• Exported it and got this mismatching SVG code:
    <svg width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 600 450" 
  • Exported it after adjusting MORE: DPI (that was configured to 300 DPI) to 400 DPI and got correct SVG code:
    <svg width="100%" height="100%" viewBox="0 0 800 600"

Or illustrated with pictures:

image.png.5bb286909f1416aa61f4bf5df36d2210.png

Export - make sure document DPI is the same as in export DPI:

image.png.9898d5e0c91532105fbe8fdbd8d9e34d.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

I also am having this craziness happening when exporting to SVG. In my case, the export of a particular important file is shrinking everything by 25%. I have tried setting the export DPI to 72, 96, and 300, with the view box option turned off, and every time the objects in the exported SVG are shrunk by 25%. Example: a rectangle that is 8 inches in Designer is 6 inches after SVG export. This is pretty weird. 

I don't mean to suggest a fix — that's up to your wisdom — but something very randomly buggy is going on, given how the errors are all over the place in this discussion. 

Designer makes terrible SVG files. Take for example the most simple file possible:

10-in-designer.png.f6c3f70952ea2462127ffd15ff430449.png

Default SVG "for export" gives:

10-in-code.png.abf08a2419ce9ef50e1904bab6feebf9.png

As you can see highlighted the width and height of the square are different!! It's using a matrix transform to alter the relative scale of the width/height so that those different values result in the same height and width. Positioning is done through this transform also rather than the rect having an x/y.

Thankfully, there is an option to 'flatten transforms' which gives much more sensible code. Combine this with not including the viewbox, and exporting to 96dpi* should give the correct results:

The document:

svg-setup.png.4448a3d9a33dd8f742ef4ee8dd9e098c.png

SVG export settings:

svg-settings.png.e05f3121b12922a506a9122b5e261e82.png

The SVG in InkScape:

inkscape-results.png.ee67d5ef19aaab7fa1d433ffd022b4be.png

If you are getting the wrong size out, all you need to change is the dpi in the export box - as per the SVG spec it's up to the reading program to determine the scale (when the units are not specified, which is the case with the exports from Affinity), some make different assumptions about this.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a similar problem to this with the iPad version, even on 1.9. My preset for the document is the size of my laser bed, dpi is 96 as that is what both my Glowforge interface expects as well as Lightburn. When I create a 2” square and export using Document Properties when I open in Lightburn it’s always way bigger. If I export and manually set the dpi to 96 it appears to work, at least for Lightburn. So it’s ignoring the document dpi when exporting. No matter how I set dpi it will not come 8nto the iOS version of Adobe Illustrator at the correct size. Even turning off preview doesn’t help there.

How do I set the default dpi to 96 on the iPad version from 300 to 96? IT would make life simpler if it don’t have to change it every single export.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/27/2021 at 10:47 AM, BofG said:

Designer makes terrible SVG files. Take for example the most simple file possible:

10-in-designer.png.f6c3f70952ea2462127ffd15ff430449.png

Default SVG "for export" gives:

10-in-code.png.abf08a2419ce9ef50e1904bab6feebf9.png

As you can see highlighted the width and height of the square are different!! It's using a matrix transform to alter the relative scale of the width/height so that those different values result in the same height and width. Positioning is done through this transform also rather than the rect having an x/y.

Thankfully, there is an option to 'flatten transforms' which gives much more sensible code. Combine this with not including the viewbox, and exporting to 96dpi* should give the correct results:

The document:

svg-setup.png.4448a3d9a33dd8f742ef4ee8dd9e098c.png

SVG export settings:

svg-settings.png.e05f3121b12922a506a9122b5e261e82.png

The SVG in InkScape:

inkscape-results.png.ee67d5ef19aaab7fa1d433ffd022b4be.png

If you are getting the wrong size out, all you need to change is the dpi in the export box - as per the SVG spec it's up to the reading program to determine the scale (when the units are not specified, which is the case with the exports from Affinity), some make different assumptions about this.

holycrap that worked... thank you. Affinity should have this default by now.. I'm tired that every time I want to engrave/cut something I have to open in inkscape (that is a hellscape to use) and change the dimensions there and re-save the file.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

false happiness. the GRBL program still dont like those SVG, although inkscape open them ok and then with a simple copy paste to a new file and resave it works... weird.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10