Jump to content
IsabelAracama

Female old world swallowtail butterfly

Recommended Posts

Scientific illustration: Entomology. (Papilio machaon). 
I have used 3 brushes, vectors & bitmaps. I also experimented how nicely the expand stroke feature works (antennas). Made them in a swoosh, I even heard it hhhh
Project bigger here:
 
Untitled.thumb.jpg.5228b18609b2b340c505a7b091c20bfb.jpg

slice1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swoosh,you just did (nail) it 😉


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(2004)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for continuing to share these fantastic drawings..they are an inspiration.....Prefer the red one though..but that's just me!


AD 1.8.3.641 + Beta AD 1.8.3.641 | APh 1.8.3.641 + Beta AP 1.8.4.650
APu 1.8.4.650 +Beta Apu 1.8.4.651

OS:Windows 10 Pro 1909 OS Build 18363.815
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 20.1.03(Adrenalin 2019, 
Radeon Settings Version
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.39-1

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simply beautiful! I admire those who take the time to create true to life images & share them with the rest of. It's inspiring especially since my preference is to use a camera since my drawing skills are not so great. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, VectorWhiz said:

An other fantastic piece you created of which there are more to see on your Behance page. Did you use the mouse of a drawing tablet?

Thanks VectorWhiz! I used both as this is designer and pixel personas. But the rule of thumb for me is vectors mouse, brushes pen and tablet. I don't feel comfortable laying nodes with the pen as much as I cannot paint with the mouse. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fantastic work


Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641:   Affinity Photo-Beta 1.8.4.650:    Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641:  Affinity Designer-Beta 1.8.4.650:

Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641:  Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.8.4.651

:     Windows 10 Pro  (Version  2004 Build 19041.264)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How did I miss this ten days ago?? :o Wonderful, as always! thumbup1.gif


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2020 at 1:41 PM, StuartRc said:

Prefer the red one though..but that's just me!

That red moth is stunning, too, but I couldn’t say I have a particular preference for either the moth or the butterfly.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Impressive drawings.  A personal preference,  Gradient on background. 


Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS 10.5.4 iPad Pro iPadOS

 

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alfred said:

That red moth is stunning, too, but I couldn’t say I have a particular preference for either the moth or the butterfly.

I can't choose either, especially thinking how much I love reds and flaming colours, but I can say that I consider this one superior in result, at least technically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cecil said:

Impressive drawings.  A personal preference,  Gradient on background. 

Thanks Cecil! 

I put gradients when doing other type of illustrations, i.e. cars, as it provides a feeling of environment to them and I think it contributes to the overall final look in most cases. But being this one a scientific illustration I can't do that, especially cause there are conventions and light is usually supposed to come from left to right. Here an illustration where I feel gradients are a good choice though:  https://www.behance.net/gallery/31578563/1957-Chevy-Corvette-Roadster-Affinity-D-Vectors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing work! Also the other butterflies and also animals on your Behance page. Incredible. Such details and colors and textures while never to shouting. Love it!

BTW Also like your clean UI design for the Redominator. There are a lot of crowded or shouting plugin interfaces around, but this one just breaths quality and envites to play with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, wigglepixel said:

Amazing work! Also the other butterflies and also animals on your Behance page. Incredible. Such details and colors and textures while never to shouting. Love it!

BTW Also like your clean UI design for the Redominator. There are a lot of crowded or shouting plugin interfaces around, but this one just breaths quality and envites to play with it.

Thanks a lot wigglepixel for such nice comment. I try to put a lot of attention in balancing colours and composition, and every detail matters so much and affects the whole. Always look for that very special something in artwork that I know it's universal, and makes one look at something understanding that "it has it" . In UI design, I also try to combine usability while keeping it very attractive to the eye. The downside is that I am seldom satisfied hhh. Thanks a lot again :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, IsabelAracama said:

Thanks a lot wigglepixel for such nice comment. I try to put a lot of attention in balancing colours and composition, and every detail matters so much and affects the whole. Always look for that very special something in artwork that I know it's universal, and makes one look at something understanding that "it has it" . In UI design, I also try to combine usability while keeping it very attractive to the eye. The downside is that I am seldom satisfied hhh. Thanks a lot again :)

Yeah, you can tell. Although the grand scheme of things is nice for overview, real magic happens in the details. Perfectionism could get in our way and there's a limit, but it's also underrated as life is all about details ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wigglepixel said:

Yeah, you can tell. Although the grand scheme of things is nice for overview, real magic happens in the details. Perfectionism could get in our way and there's a limit, but it's also underrated as life is all about details ;) 

Wise words wigglepixel. Details details details! They are so important both in work and life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m always thrilled to see your wonderful illustrations and especially this Swallowtail butterfly. This clearly demonstrates brilliantly both your technical illustrative skills and what can be achieved using Affinity Designer.

I’ve longed to see a Swallowtail flying in the wild. I've read there’s a rare subspecies (ssp. britannicus) that's confined to the Norfolk/Cambridge areas of the UK. Maybe one day.


Windows Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. Windows 10 Home (v1809). Windows scaling 115% 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jonopen said:

I’m always thrilled to see your wonderful illustrations and especially this Swallowtail butterfly. This clearly demonstrates brilliantly both your technical illustrative skills and what can be achieved using Affinity Designer.

I’ve longed to see a Swallowtail flying in the wild. I've read there’s a rare subspecies (ssp. britannicus) that's confined to the Norfolk/Cambridge areas of the UK. Maybe one day.

Thanks Jonopen! Yes, actually I based this one illustration specially on the britannicus subspecies which apparently has darker marks than the continental counterpart although I get a hard time still to distinguish them at a glance... For what I know it is not so widespread in the UK  so... good luck finding one ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.