You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Female old world swallowtail butterfly

IsabelAracama

Scientific illustration: Entomology. (Papilio machaon). 
I have used 3 brushes, vectors & bitmaps. I also experimented how nicely the expand stroke feature works (antennas). Made them in a swoosh, I even heard it hhhh
Project bigger here:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.5228b18609b2b340c505a7b091c20bfb.jpg

slice1.jpg

Thank you for continuing to share these fantastic drawings..they are an inspiration.....Prefer the red one though..but that's just me!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

9 hours ago, VectorWhiz said:

An other fantastic piece you created of which there are more to see on your Behance page. Did you use the mouse of a drawing tablet?

Thanks VectorWhiz! I used both as this is designer and pixel personas. But the rule of thumb for me is vectors mouse, brushes pen and tablet. I don't feel comfortable laying nodes with the pen as much as I cannot paint with the mouse. 

On 3/12/2020 at 1:41 PM, StuartRc said:

Prefer the red one though..but that's just me!

That red moth is stunning, too, but I couldn’t say I have a particular preference for either the moth or the butterfly.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

That red moth is stunning, too, but I couldn’t say I have a particular preference for either the moth or the butterfly.

I can't choose either, especially thinking how much I love reds and flaming colours, but I can say that I consider this one superior in result, at least technically.

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

Impressive drawings.  A personal preference,  Gradient on background. 

Thanks Cecil! 

I put gradients when doing other type of illustrations, i.e. cars, as it provides a feeling of environment to them and I think it contributes to the overall final look in most cases. But being this one a scientific illustration I can't do that, especially cause there are conventions and light is usually supposed to come from left to right. Here an illustration where I feel gradients are a good choice though:  https://www.behance.net/gallery/31578563/1957-Chevy-Corvette-Roadster-Affinity-D-Vectors

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing work! Also the other butterflies and also animals on your Behance page. Incredible. Such details and colors and textures while never to shouting. Love it!

BTW Also like your clean UI design for the Redominator. There are a lot of crowded or shouting plugin interfaces around, but this one just breaths quality and envites to play with it.

15 hours ago, wigglepixel said:

Amazing work! Also the other butterflies and also animals on your Behance page. Incredible. Such details and colors and textures while never to shouting. Love it!

BTW Also like your clean UI design for the Redominator. There are a lot of crowded or shouting plugin interfaces around, but this one just breaths quality and envites to play with it.

Thanks a lot wigglepixel for such nice comment. I try to put a lot of attention in balancing colours and composition, and every detail matters so much and affects the whole. Always look for that very special something in artwork that I know it's universal, and makes one look at something understanding that "it has it" . In UI design, I also try to combine usability while keeping it very attractive to the eye. The downside is that I am seldom satisfied hhh. Thanks a lot again :)

20 minutes ago, IsabelAracama said:

Thanks a lot wigglepixel for such nice comment. I try to put a lot of attention in balancing colours and composition, and every detail matters so much and affects the whole. Always look for that very special something in artwork that I know it's universal, and makes one look at something understanding that "it has it" . In UI design, I also try to combine usability while keeping it very attractive to the eye. The downside is that I am seldom satisfied hhh. Thanks a lot again :)

Yeah, you can tell. Although the grand scheme of things is nice for overview, real magic happens in the details. Perfectionism could get in our way and there's a limit, but it's also underrated as life is all about details ;) 

7 minutes ago, wigglepixel said:

Yeah, you can tell. Although the grand scheme of things is nice for overview, real magic happens in the details. Perfectionism could get in our way and there's a limit, but it's also underrated as life is all about details ;) 

Wise words wigglepixel. Details details details! They are so important both in work and life.

I’m always thrilled to see your wonderful illustrations and especially this Swallowtail butterfly. This clearly demonstrates brilliantly both your technical illustrative skills and what can be achieved using Affinity Designer.

I’ve longed to see a Swallowtail flying in the wild. I've read there’s a rare subspecies (ssp. britannicus) that's confined to the Norfolk/Cambridge areas of the UK. Maybe one day.

v2.4.0 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.3.1

2 hours ago, Jonopen said:

I’m always thrilled to see your wonderful illustrations and especially this Swallowtail butterfly. This clearly demonstrates brilliantly both your technical illustrative skills and what can be achieved using Affinity Designer.

I’ve longed to see a Swallowtail flying in the wild. I've read there’s a rare subspecies (ssp. britannicus) that's confined to the Norfolk/Cambridge areas of the UK. Maybe one day.

Thanks Jonopen! Yes, actually I based this one illustration specially on the britannicus subspecies which apparently has darker marks than the continental counterpart although I get a hard time still to distinguish them at a glance... For what I know it is not so widespread in the UK  so... good luck finding one ;)