ETC

Master pages to pages: forcibly unlinked attributes & no way to re-link them

Hi, Affinity Developers,

I think this is a bug that perhaps hasn't been reported in this forum. Please see

for the original post and some responses.

I suppose this is by design, but I hope not. The problems I see are …

(1) elements on a regular page that come from a master page are unlinked by Affinity without the user actually knowing it's happening. By comparison, in InDesign one must use Cmd-Shift (Mac) or Ctrl-Shift (Win) to override items from a master page. I think it's important that there be some way of forcing the user to make a choice so he or she knows what's going on. Just doing it behind the scenes without even notice seems pretty bad to me. Reason: one later changes the master and assumes the changes went to the regular pages, but they didn't.

(2) Even worse, in my opinion, is that once the master page are unlinked on regular pages, there is no way to re-link them (best I can tell). One can see that they are unlinked because of the orange dotted vertical lines in the layers panel next to affected elements. But it seems that links of elements to the master page cannot be restored at all.

Here's my example:

1 hour ago, ETC said:

I'm working on a calendar and had a table on the master page (the table is just the dates, which, of course, have to be in different boxes for each month). Text, Text Frame and Baseline grid are all unlinked attributes, so all the tweaking I've been doing to the master page table to get it right has been wasted, since it won't update the regular pages. Ugh!

Hi,

Your first point is by design, we don't ask the user about unlinking objects we just detach them so content specific to that page can be added. I can maybe see a notifcation popping up being useful, but I don't think there is a bug here as such.

In 1.8, you are able to re-apply a master page and choose it if it migrates the page content onto the new master, so you could re link by re-applying the master page? It is probably worth noting there have been a few tweaks around this area in 1.8, and if you  re apply a master page we will try migrate what content we can, unless you choose not to (this to done by right clicking the master page to re-apply it, not by dragging on the pages panel)

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2020 at 5:31 PM, Jon P said:

Hi,

Your first point is by design, we don't ask the user about unlinking objects we just detach them so content specific to that page can be added. I can maybe see a notifcation popping up being useful, but I don't think there is a bug here as such.

In 1.8, you are able to re-apply a master page and choose it if it migrates the page content onto the new master, so you could re link by re-applying the master page? It is probably worth noting there have been a few tweaks around this area in 1.8, and if you  re apply a master page we will try migrate what content we can, unless you choose not to (this to done by right clicking the master page to re-apply it, not by dragging on the pages panel)

Thank you, Jon P, for your explanations and for improvements in 1.8.2. I'm no Affinity Publisher power user, and at this point the only thing I'm trying to do with it is make a calendar, which I just come back to periodically to work on.

I just updated to 1.8.2 and when I applied Master A to a page of the calendar; a note did come up about something being detached, but it disappeared before I got it read through. Now I've used Undo and gone back, and here it is (image below). Interesting that although it has an "X" to close it and a "Close" button, it disappears all by itself.

Seems to me that Affinity Publisher should let you chose which elements you want to re-apply from the Master Page. At is it is not it's all or nothing (best I can tell).

To me the "Clear" or "Migrate" options under "Replace Existing" are anything but clear. I think where it says "Content:" it perhaps should say "Non-Master Content:" or something like that; also, the logic of "Migrate" escapes me: Master Page content is migrating to the Regular Page with both options (with "Clear" and with "Migrate"), but with "Clear" Master Page content is replacing the Regular Page content, but with "Migrate" it is being placed over (being appended to) the Regular Page content. Just seems very unclear to me.

I hope my observations are constructive. You've (plural) made one nice piece of software! Thank you for your time and help on this.

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 08.12.30.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 08.16.20.png

Edited by ETC
changed "is" to "it"

This doesn't work for a simple use case 1.8.2 windows. I change the master heading colour, migrate the page and the heading colour does not change. Why not?