You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am still having problems with exporting AD file to a jpeg.

I have tried every combination of lock and unlocked Size but it always comes out distorted. I can change the width but it is the height that never changes.

This is the original size of the AD file 2688px x 1091px. would someone be good enough to talk me through what I need to do to get an exported width of 900 x with a proportional height?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi. I'm newish to Af Designer and was curious about your problem so created a simple document, dimensions in px, with just a rectangle of colour occupying the whole doc. 2688x1091px.

I went to 'File' > 'Export' and there selected jpeg as the export format. The width field (the first field in my window) showed the current doc width of 2688px. In there I typed 900 and hit the tab key to take me to the next field. Seeing as the padlock symbol was showing as closed, the height was automatically calculated to be 365px.

I hit 'Export' and a jpeg doc was created with the dimensions 900x365.

The process couldn't have been simpler and it's hard to see where your error could be occurring. Have you checked that the padlock symbol is definitely closed when you key in the width of your export?

Following your instructions to the letter except I used my own sizes.

I went to 'File' > 'Export' and there selected jpeg as the export format. The width field (the first field in my window) showed the current doc width of 3507px. [i picked 'Selection with background'] In there I typed 900 and hit the tab key to take me to the next field. Seeing as the padlock symbol was showing as closed, the height was automatically calculated to be 900px. which is WRONG! The original size was 1669 x 848 twice as wide as high!

I hit 'Export' and a jpeg doc was created with the dimensions 900 x 900! Clearly there is something wrong with my AD. See the attached file as proof.

Developers please note!

Export problem.afdesign

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

The problem is related to choosing 'Selection with background'. I don't have the experience in AD to know exactly how that works but I imagine the exported doc size will be related to whatever selection you have activated in your document when you go to 'Export'.

The procedure I described in my previous post assumed that you would export 'Whole document'.

I have been using AD since the day it was published and it is only in the last month that I have been experiencing this problem. I rarely save the whole doc as I am only interested in the image. Something is wrong.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi Jack,

you are right: there seems to be an export issue. When I select all the objects on your page, choose Export: Selection with background and adjust the size afterwards, the calculation of the values goes crazy. I end up with a 1 x 900 px JPEG image, and that is clearly wrong, as far as I can see. By the way, the same happens with other files as well …  :blink:

I took the liberty to file a bug report and point the developers to this thread … please find below my files documenting the bug. Cheers, Alex  :)

EDIT Deleted files. Issue fixed.

Thank you for backing me up! I was beginning to think it was just me and not AD.

I must find out more about making these short instructive videos.

The way I am getting round it is to reduce the size before Exporting.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0