You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create this kind of perspective in AD?

Hi,

I've been playing around with the Isometric panel for a while and think it's a great tool.

But is it possible to create this kind of 2-point perspective with it and if so, how?
I can't figure it out.

Please note: This is not my image, I am using it only to illustrate my question. The forum does not let me upload it for some reason, so here is a link:

BkpCCTVIsc_-K7BqDfiCtNCbLznWNzmlYQF_a3jK

The answer in this post – not the rest of the thread – is only for use in Photo, not Designer. (Got the wrong end of the stick there.)

The Perspective Tool gives you the option of changing the “Planes” setting to “Dual Plane”.
Change the “Mode” to “Source”, move the nodes to the extents of the original image, then change “Mode” to “Destination” and move the nodes accordingly.
If this what you need? If not, we might need to see your original image and get a bit more explanation about what you want to achieve.

Edited by GarryP
Oops. Got it wrong again.

25 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The Perspective Tool gives you the option of changing the “Planes” setting to “Dual Plane”.
Change the “Mode” to “Source”, move the nodes to the extents of the original image, then change “Mode” to “Destination” and move the nodes accordingly.
If this what you need? If not, we might need to see your original image and get a bit more explanation about what you want to achieve.

I believe the Perspective Tool is only available in Photo?
I'd like exactly that with Dual Plane, but in Designer and ideally working just like the Isometric Panel, with snapping and all.

Simplest method is to make a radial line group to form a grid, duplicate it and then flip it, this will make a 2 point perspective grid. Moving the radial line groups horizontally will adjust the pitch of the perspective. see video below.

Arrgh, I nudged the video to 36 sec lol just exporting again but if you want to watch just forward to 36 sec lol!
Uploaded corrected video 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Whilst I don't think Designer supports perspective guides like that, you can easily make your own just by using a standard layer as a 'guide' layer, drawing your perspective lines on it and then locking it. With the snapping options set up to snap to other objects you can use the underlying 'guide' layer as a method of snapping. This way you can make yourself any 'guides' you like.

If you stop and think about it, a generic bunch of evenly spaced lines coming from the two vanishing points wouldn't be that useful. What you actually want are lines coming from the extremes of your verticals within the scene. So you'd only want a basic setup to start with (the two vanishing points, horiztonal and lines for say for top and bottom of a building) , then you'd add your own lines for things like windows and tops of doors etc. So for perspective you're better off using your own handmade guides anyway. Also, if you want to get a feel for the perspective you can stretch your guide layer horizontally to move the vanishing points outwards (you can go right off the sides of canvas area)  giving a less extreme perspective or inwards to emphasize the perspective. Less is better here I think.

Ah I see, I think Photo is the only Affinity app that offers anything along those lines. Of course, if you want to really get into doing some 3d stuff then you could always grab a copy of Blender (free), but be warned there's a bit of a learning curve involved!

• 10 months later...

I know this is not a recent thread, but for those who might be interested, there are also grids for free download here:
https://www.adammiconi.com/art-resources/perspective-grids/

Adam Miconi created these in a variety of formats including .AI which can be imported into Affinity designer then added to an assets group for future use.

While I'd also like to see 2 and 3 point perspective grid options natively in AD, these tools will suffice in the meanwhile.

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2022 at 1:46 PM, aaron bastian said:

I know this is old, but you can do this in AD with the guides and axis manager by setting the mode to advanced and the grid type to two axis custom.  They have a great video on their website explaining it here 

The above still only offers a parallel grid, albeit with user-definable options for grid angle and size. By its definition, axonometric is without perspective distortion, which was the subject of the thread.

As of writing, AD still doesn't offer perspective as an option in the grid settings.