You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save Ai file type

doobox

Hi there,

Affinity designer looks great, and i'd be happy to drop Illustrator in favour of the app with one addition....

Part of my daily workflow is creating splines for importing into Cinema 4D.

Cinema 4D requires the splines be saved as .ai files.. specifically illustrator version 8 .ai files.

Generally i think .ai file option would be welcome.

But the option to save a file specifically in Illustrator version 8 .ai perhaps in the guise of C4Dspline would be awesome.

See attached image : 

post-771-0-24533500-1410694487_thumb.jpg

Kind regards

Gary

Further experimenting and testing has revealed that you can in fact import an eps file created in the Sketch app into Cinema 4d. You just need to close the spline after import (no big deal).

But attempting to import an eps file created with Affinity yields nothing. Cinema does not throw any error messages, it just yields nothing.

I am testing with a simple circle object, 1px stroke, and no fill.

Kind regards

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

If you route the EPS created in Affinity Designer through AI and save it in AI8 filetype, the imported .ai works in C4D. So you can use that as a workaround. 

I would still love to have an option of exporting it straight from Affinity to some format read correctly by Cinema 4D, as the workflow would be nicer.

• 8 months later...

Yes please, support for illustrator 8 would be great, mostly for Cinema 4D users. Right now Im using the workaround but this is time consuming, especially when you have to create severals 3d models at day :/ and well.. you still need to open Illustrator..

That said, this is more a problem related to Maxon, they should add support for SVG and EPS, both are standard exchange files.

• 2 weeks later...

I support this feature as well. It takes time to get comfortable with AD, and when I person is working with other people on the same project that only know illustrator it is best to be able to move the file back and fourth freely between the two programs with as few issues as possible. If new users cannot integrate with their existing workflow then they will be less likely to want to try out AD, much less switch to AD full time.

We're unlikely to export .ai format because it is a closed propriety format owned by Adobe. With .psd there is some documentation publicly available, and .pdf is well-documented, but for .ai there's no information so we just can't do it. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...