You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlinks split over two lines in Publisher PDFs

It appears that Hyperlinks are behaving oddly in PDFs exported from Publisher (1.8.1)

A hyperlink added to a word works fine.
If the hyperlink is added across several words, then it is fine.
However, when a hyperlink added to several words and those words are split and carried over to the next line, then the hyperlink is applied to the whole of first line and the while of the second line. Not just the 'underlined' words.

This becomes a bigger issue if there are two different hyperlinks and the second one is split over two lines, then the first one is ignored and takes the hyperlink attributed to the second run of words.

The only way I found around this was to explicitly add the full URL and not assign it to a word.

So instead of entering =

Click here

you have to say =

Visit https://example.com/page

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Hyperlinks expanding over multiple lines apply the hyperlink to both lines when exported to PDF) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you,

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 months later...

I've been running into this issue with Publisher 1.8.3 (on macOS 10.15.6). In the attached screenshot, the first URL is truncated after the /402/ and the second is truncated after the /pdf/ and the second line isn't an active link in either case. Unfortunately the document I'm working on contains a lot of multi-line URLs, so this is a pretty significant issue for me.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 5.32.53 PM.png

On 7/25/2020 at 7:35 PM, DesignStationYT said:

In the attached screenshot, the first URL is truncated after the /402/ and the second is truncated after the /pdf/ and the second line isn't an active link in either case. Unfortunately the document I'm working on contains a lot of multi-line URLs, so this is a pretty significant issue for me.

Could you let us know whether the document you are working with started as a Publisher document or as an imported PDF, IDML, etc?

• 1 year later...

Version 1.10.1 on MacOS 10.15.7: hyperlinks spanning more than one line are not working.  I have lots of long URLs, all of which must be typed out because this is both a print and a pdf publication.  Only the second line is clickable; the program ignores the first line.  This is a show stopper.  I can not proceed until this is fixed.

3 hours ago, ABZ said:

Version 1.10.1 on MacOS 10.15.7: hyperlinks spanning more than one line are not working.  I have lots of long URLs, all of which must be typed out because this is both a print and a pdf publication.  Only the second line is clickable; the program ignores the first line.  This is a show stopper.  I can not proceed until this is fixed.

Works fine on Windows for me. Can you provide a sample .afpub file to demonstrate the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I am on windows and have many hyperlinks that run span more than one line as you can see from page 5 of this booklet which was created as a pdf https://heyzine.com/flip-book/0ccdec0ad0.html?web=1&wdLOR=c959D9293-63EA-4D27-B78B-5D14D5D510B2#page/4 I also sent the pdfs to commercial printers without any problems in printing the booklet.

I tried exporting your APub file and got the errors associated with hyperlinks and it would not export. When I exported without hyperlinks it exported so definitely something wrong in the hyperlinks.

This has been a problem in some versions of 1.9 on windows and may be something in your mac version. I ran pdf logging and it picked up one error as I could find on the last page, but do not know if that works on Macs 

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

On 9/12/2021 at 5:46 PM, ABZ said:

I can't export from your .afpub file using 1.10.1 as I get an error message during export (which I have not investigated).

However, it seems to export just fine using the new 1.10.2.1167 beta and the multi-line hyperlinks that I've tested in it work (except for the one that actually seems to be a bad link).

So you might install and try that beta, and see if it resolves your problem.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

9 minutes ago, ABZ said:

Many thanks for your due diligence.  From whence can I download the beta version?

You're welcome.

You can find the betas for any of the applications via a pinned topic near the top of the relevant the Beta forum.

-- Walt
PC:

On 9/15/2021 at 8:29 PM, ABZ said:

Sorry, it isn't working in version 1.10.2.1167 Beta.  The portion of the URL on the first line is inactive; the portion of the next line is active and correct.

The PDFs I export from your .afpub file work just fine for me. So that may indicate an error that is specific to macOS.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi @ABZ, Apologies for the late reply, bumping old threads can mean they get missed by our ticketing system, we always advise creating a new thread if possible.

Your afpub exports a PDF with hyperlinks correctly for me on both Mac and Windows, but I can see that your PDF does indeed seem to be broken.

Can you re-export your PDF from Mac and use the PDF (for export) profile, I think what might have happened here is it was exported and set to not include hyperlinks, but a viewer is adding hyperlinks itself but not doing it correctly. It can be a bit confusing as even if you export without hyperlinks enabled, the hyperlink formatting is still applied to urls within the document, combined with the viewer then noticing it's a URL and attempting to create the link itself can lead it to look like links have been broken when they go over 2 lines.

If the newly exported pdf with the (for export) profile is still broken can you upload it here and let me know what PDF viewer you are using to view it? It will also be useful if you could save the afpub as a package and upload that, as I am missing fonts used in the afpublisher file.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I run into the same problem under MacOS using AP 2.1.1 when creating the PDF. Once the link splits over two lines, the link is cut-off at the line break, even though it was working when the complete hyperlink was in one line.

However, by testing it out I discovered the following: There are two ways in AP to generate the PDF in MacOS.

1. Use the print document CTRL+P, once the print dialog comes up, generate the PDF.

2. Use the export dialog in AP.

The first method will generate the broken link, while the second one (export) is working well. So use the export dialog in AP when you work with hyperlinks going over multiple lines.

Hopefully this info is helpful for someone who runs into the problem.

-Thomas