You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Node tool lasso selection

Select node tool. Tips at bottom of page include Alt-click for polygon selection. Tips then change, now suggesting actions for lasso selection. Playing with this it seems to be a part-complete feature. You can draw, but Return or closing path makes selection disappear. Hitting Ctrl-M when selection visible leads to a curves panel without the curve.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @dmstraker,

I can't replicate the first 2 behaviours Return or closing path makes selection disappear) . Yeah, the lasso selection disappears and now you should have the nodes inside that selection active. 

However, CTRL+M should not open. This only seems to affect Windows. 

Ok - figured how having noded curve that Alt-click/sweep selects nodes.

Can't replicate tips with polygon selection with just pixel layer. Hmm. However Alt-clicking around on a simple pixel layer still creates blue selection area (releasing Alt does not escape this), whence Ctrl-M brings up curves layer but without content.

Not a biggie, but it would seem that confusing non-functional scenarios should be suppressed, perhaps throwing up an error message rather than ploughing ahead into strangeness.

And yes, I'm on a PC. The dark side, and all that.

Dave Straker

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

• Staff
15 hours ago, dmstraker said:

However Alt-clicking around on a simple pixel layer still creates blue selection area (releasing Alt does not escape this)

What are you trying to achieve? Pixel layers don't have nodes. 

Yes of course. It simply was that I found I could draw the blue node selection area but with nothing to select. At the time I didn't know what it was for so was rather baffled.

It's a general usability principle to not allow users to do things that have no immediate function and can end up with strange effects (like the blank Curves panel). So when there are no nodes, do not allow the node selection to take place.

It's not a biggie. I was a programmer, then in software QA, so little things bug me. I report what I find, but then it's up to you to decide what to do about it.

Dave Straker

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

@dmstraker this issue "CTLR+M with nodes selected should not bring up the curves dialog" has also been addressed in the latest update, thanks for you help identifying this issue. As far as I know your other report in this thread "Node selection tool should be disabled for pixel layers" remains unaddressed, sorry.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon