You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PUBLISHER 1.8 | Smart Master Pages | Frames are not auto populating

I have a single page master with 3 Picture Frames labeled Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3.  I applied the master to a single page containing 3 images labeled Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3.

ISSUE - The page is not smart updating. The frames from the master are not being populated by the images of the same name. 

I'm trying to follow this tutorial - https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/390003719/

I've tried doing this in 1.8 and 1.8.2 Beta.

I'll appreciate any guidance that can be provided.

Screenshot of what you do?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, Marc4321 said:

I have a single page master with 3 Picture Frames labeled Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3.  I applied the master to a single page containing 3 images labeled Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3.

ISSUE - The page is not smart updating. The frames from the master are not being populated by the images of the same name.

You have misunderstood how smart master pages work, I'm afraid.

They allow replacing one master page by another, and migrating the content when both master pages had text and picture frames with the same name. Thus, suppose Master A has a text frame named Text1, and a picture frame named Picture1. Suppose Master B also has a Text1 text frame, and a Picture1 picture frame.

If document page 1 has Master A applied, and you replace Master A with Master B, the text in the Text1 frame on page 1 will move into the new Text1 frame, even if the frame has a different size or position. And the picture in Picture1 will move into the new Picture1 frame, wherever on the page it is and whatever size it is.

But that's not what you have. You have a document page with no Master, and you're applying a Master to it. No migration occurs then, because smart master pages require that you're replacing 1 master with another related one on a document page.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome, Marc.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2020 at 6:03 PM, walt.farrell said:

You have misunderstood how smart master pages work, I'm afraid.

They allow replacing one master page by another, and migrating the content when both master pages had text and picture frames with the same name. Thus, suppose Master A has a text frame named Text1, and a picture frame named Picture1. Suppose Master B also has a Text1 text frame, and a Picture1 picture frame.

If document page 1 has Master A applied, and you replace Master A with Master B, the text in the Text1 frame on page 1 will move into the new Text1 frame, even if the frame has a different size or position. And the picture in Picture1 will move into the new Picture1 frame, wherever on the page it is and whatever size it is.

But that's not what you have. You have a document page with no Master, and you're applying a Master to it. No migration occurs then, because smart master pages require that you're replacing 1 master with another related one on a document page.

On 3/12/2020 at 8:19 AM, walt.farrell said:

You're welcome, Marc.

Have two masters (call them "old" and "new").  Both masters will have frames with the same names.  Create a page, apply the old master to it, and place your images on that page (not the master page).  Then you can apply/replace the new master to the page and the images will migrate to the same-named frames provided by the new master.

1 minute ago, Ponciano Manzano said:

Walt, do I have to place the images (or text) into the master pages o directly into the pages ? Thanks

You can do either, A blank Text Frame on a master page will have everything set up to accept text on any page you apply the master to, or it can have text from the Master Page applied to every page. I use both. Same with Picture Frames, they can be empty so you can put a new/different photo on each page or you can put one photo in the frame on the Master Page and that picture will be on every page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I just put in some dummy text on the Master Page, and 'physically replace it on the applied page. Tip, you should assign a unique Paragraph Style (Head for Replace) to those items so you can find them and make certain that you have actually replaced the dummy text every where using Find and Replace looking for Head for Replace using the Find > Paragraph Styles... in the Find and replace studio.

1617580280_ScreenShot2020-05-20at6_54_21AM.png.40d3a726a6cc08d9f5ce0dde2fae6c37.png

1812891258_ScreenShot2020-05-20at6_55_23AM.png.f11c3bffb1556a17805544e568c8bc6f.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...

At approximately the 4-minute/20-second mark in the video, he drags a master onto a document page and all three images on the page immediately switch from color to monochrome. This is left unexplained. What are the setup steps required to achieve this effect? The brief entry in the help file does not appear to mention this, either.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

The image frames on the master pages are empty. So presumably this had to be done during the first document setup by first populating the frames on the master pages, changing the images to greyscale, and then removing the images (leaving the frames intact).

Serif Persons: is this procedure documented somewhere? I can't seem to find it in v.1.8.3's help file. I didn't make an extensive search for it. I entered "smart" as the search term and looked only at the smart-master-pages topic.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

The Picture Frames on the master pages, in this particular case, should be empty.
You can add an Adjustment to a Picture Frame without having an image in it but it will be difficult to see what the effect will be unless there is an image in it.
When you have an image in the Picture Frame, once you can see that the image looks okay you can then remove it by deleting the Image layer from within the Picture Frame layer.
The demonstrator probably didn’t show that they had added the Adjustments earlier as this wasn’t what the demonstration was about, specifically.

Ok, well, that's what being a newbie will do for a person. I hadn't realized you can add a layer effect to the frame itself even without an image being present.
Thanks.

– Anonymous cynic

Glad that’s sorted.
I don’t think anyone would normally add an Adjustment to a Picture Frame without an image in it as they wouldn’t be able to see what it looked like (unless they were especially good at knowing what the Adjustments will do to every image). Better to add the image, then add the Adjustment, then remove the image, in this case.

I can't imagine wanting to add an adjustment to an image-less frame, but it's interesting to know that it can be done. A simple setup, perhaps: Establish some default settings at the beginning. Then, update them when need be.

– Anonymous cynic

On 3/11/2020 at 9:25 PM, Marc4321 said:

I have a single page master with 3 Picture Frames labeled Picture 1, Picture 2, Picture 3.  (...)
I've tried doing this in 1.8 and 1.8.2 Beta.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:51 PM, Ponciano Manzano said:

do I have to place the images (or text) into the master pages o directly into the pages ?

Alternatively you might try the current Beta 1.8.4. There a layout switch with image replacement also works without re-named layers. 1357553332_v651smartlayoutpropertysetting.jpg.bc1f4608e6dff36384951194a92def3f.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1