You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot paste an artboard into a Designer document that has a canvas

Recipe:

1. Create a designer document, and add an artboard.
  2. Create another designer document, with a canvas rather than an artboard. Don't add anything to this canvas.
  3. Select and copy the artboard from (1).
  4. Try to paste the artboard into (2).

Results:

1. Something seems to paste, and document (2) ends up with an empty bounding box the size of the copied artboard.
  2. However, the Layers panel remains empty.

Extra bonus: Now, choose the Artboard Tool, and try to draw an artboard. You get an error message stating: 

Artboards cannot be added to a document with multiple pages or a Master Page.

Happens in both 1.8.0.585 and 1.8.1.610.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...

By the way, @Sean P (from another topic where I did some more experiments related to this):

1. This feels like one I've also mentioned before, but for completeness:

• Create a new empty document in Photo.
  • In Designer, Copy an Artboard.
  • Paste it into the Photo document.
  • The Paste apparently works, but no layers of any kind are created. And at that point, no layers or objects can be created in the document.

2. This is new (to me):

• Create a new document in Publisher with no master pages, and exactly 1 document page.
  • In Designer, Copy an Artboard (may be an empty Artboard, or one with content)
  • Paste it onto the Publisher page.
  • Publisher crashes instantly.

3. Like 2, but if the Publisher document has 2 document pages, or a Master Page, and the Artboard is empty:

• The Paste gives you an apparently empty (Image) layer.
  • I have not found anything actually corrupted in the document, from my experiments so far.

4. Like 3, but if the Artboard has any content, the individual content items are pasted onto the page. This may be correct?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2020 at 9:07 PM, walt.farrell said:

Recipe:

1. Create a designer document, and add an artboard.
  2. Create another designer document, with a canvas rather than an artboard. Don't add anything to this canvas.
  3. Select and copy the artboard from (1).
  4. Try to paste the artboard into (2).

Results:

1. Something seems to paste, and document (2) ends up with an empty bounding box the size of the copied artboard.
  2. However, the Layers panel remains empty.

Extra bonus: Now, choose the Artboard Tool, and try to draw an artboard. You get an error message stating: 

Happens in both 1.8.0.585 and 1.8.1.610.

I get similar, but slightly different, behaviour on macOS Catalina.

I opened a Designer doc with 26 artboards (Doc1). I then opened a 2nd Designer doc with 8 artboards (Doc2). I tried to copy the 8 artboards from Doc 2 to Doc 1. The Paste command produced no results at all, Doc1 sat there looking exactly the same and there was no 'Paste' in the Undo menu. I was confused.

Then I tried to add a new artboard to Doc1 by drawing with the Artboard tool (the artboard options in control bar are greyed out) and got the same error message the OP got, that I can't add Artboards to a doc with pages. I've never seen that message before. Doc1 has no pages and never has. It was created with an artboard, not just a canvas, and then expanded to 26 artboards. Doc2 has no pages and never has either.

This bug has now made Doc1 unusable because I can't add more artboards! You can imagine how much work went into it with 26 artboards already! Not a happy boy.

Do we have a fix/workaround yet?

BTW - I'm a photographer and designer transitioning from Adobe (I'm Adobe certified) and I'm finding Designer/Photo/Publisher much easier and quicker to use (i use on mac, windows, desktop & ipad). The UI and workflows are so much better thought out and clutter-free (particularly the Layers panel and Snapping/Guides) - whoever designs these is genius, don't let them go! There are some missing features and annoyances but all in all well done Affinity team, these are developing into stellar products :)  Initially transitioning was very slow because of the lack of decent structured training, but the latest Affinity tutorial videos and LinkedInLearning Courses are way better and made transitioning a breeze. Finally I've reached a place where I can ditch the money-grabbing ***** at Adobe. Thanks to all the Affinity Team :) !!! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I think I am having the same issue... I have created a document with multiple artboards. I have 24 artboards so far, and tried to add some more as I have previously.

When I select the artboard tool 'insert artboard' is greyed out. If I try to draw an artboard I get the message "Artboards cannot be added to a document with multiple pages or master pages" I have not to my knowledge done anything with "pages" and don't know how to do so, searching on the web seems to imply this is a function in publisher not designer?

Is there a workaround for this other than starting again from scratch - I don't really want to have to redo all the artboards I have already created :-(

Thanks!

• 3 years later...