You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I'm trying to export a file (73 MB) from Designer to a Psd file. I need to retain editability - when I select the correct preset, the 'Estimated File Size' box keeps saying 'Calculating...' but doesn't finish calculating. It allows me to click on the Export button, and then the window disappears but nothing happens. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks

Have you tried exporting to PDF

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

46 minutes ago, thewallrus said:

my client has requested the file as a Psd and I need to try retain all the layers so they can edit it in the future etc

I hope your file has no text in it, as there's no way to prevent that becoming rasterized in the PSD.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It would be interesting to know what the export differences are between a PSD and a PDF. Is there some feature up and above PDF that PSD caters for or are they comparatively the same. If Affinity can only deal with PDF parts of Adobe files I can't personally see much difference between exporting as a PDF over a PSD. I suppose the only way to find the best medium is to output a PDF and a PSD and see the import differences in Adobe Photoshop.

I can understand wanting to save as a PSD to retain proprietary photoshop features for other Adobe Photoshop users to access from Photoshop, but, saving to a PSD from another app that lacks any proprietary features seems like PSD for the sake of it, unless there are additional benefits over that of PDF.

Is this file client confidential? if so you could ask a mod to supply a dropbox upload folder so they can take a look at the file and see if it can export from their system, else upload it here for us to test.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, thewallrus said:

I'll just tell them they'll need to buy Affinity instead!

Or, charge them $50 more, and buy a redemption code from Serif to send to them :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, thewallrus said:

I'll just tell them they'll need to buy Affinity instead!

It would be a good move as more professionals use Affinity any way.