You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selecting gap in image

Difficult to describe the problem in the limited space in the title...

My problem is that I have an image of my wife and I standing close together and whilst I have no problem selecting our outline, I cannot seem to find a way to also select a gap between us for the purpose of eliminating the background. I am probably missing something really simple, but can anyone advise me how to go about this, please?

Thanks. I have attached the image in question.

post-10860-0-44863200-1437297010_thumb.jpeg

Well, I I have finally found a way to do this although it's a bit clumsy…..

I selected the gap first refined it and exported the image as a png.

Then i opened the png and selected the pair of us and once again refined the thing and I then was able to paste a new background. It works, but is there a simpler way?

Cheers

Difficult to describe the problem in the limited space in the title...

My problem is that I have an image of my wife and I standing close together and whilst I have no problem selecting our outline, I cannot seem to find a way to also select a gap between us for the purpose of eliminating the background. I am probably missing something really simple, but can anyone advise me how to go about this, please?

Thanks. I have attached the image in question.

If you want to eliminate the background it seems fairly simple. First, select your two images. If that selection does not include the gap between you (and it should not), then just invert the selection and you will have the entire background selected. You can invert by using Select -> Invert Pixel Selection.

If I have misunderstood what you are trying to do please let me know. And, by the way, that is a very nice photo.

• Staff

Hello Mitcherooney,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

First select the outside part as you've been doing, then in the context toolbar (the toolbar right above the work area) on the left, change the selection mode to Add. Click on the gap with your preferred selection tool and it will be added to the existing selection.

Hello Mitcherooney,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

First select the outside part as you've been doing, then in the context toolbar (the toolbar right above the work area) on the left, change the selection mode to Add. Click on the gap with your preferred selection tool and it will be added to the existing selection.

Ah. It never occurred to me that he did not see the Add (and Subtract) buttons.

Hi Guys and thanks for the replies…

MikeFromMesa:

I think that you may have got the wrong end of the stick, because I'm afraid it doesn't do the trick. Thanks though for the compliment regarding the photo itself.

MEB: The 'Add'' option doesn't work either. I can certainly add to the existing selection, but not within it.

You are both welcome to have a go with image that I uploaded. If you get the required result, I;d be interested to know about it.

Cheers

• Staff

Hi Mitcherooney,

It does work. You are probably selecting you and your wife instead of the background. It all depends on what you want select first - the persons or the background. So if you decide to select the two persons and want to remove the background - you should select subtract from the context toolbar to remove the gap from the selection, because it's not part of the "persons".

If you start selecting the background, then you must add the gap (because it's also part of the background) and then invert the selection  (Select ▹ Invert Pixel Selection), so only the persons will become selected.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.