You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select and scroll with mouse wheel or auto - affinity designer

When making a selection on the canvas and bringing my mouse down to the bottom,
the document would auto scroll downwards allowing me to make additional selections as and when objects were revealed in view.

Alternatively I used to be able to make a selection and use my mouse wheel to scroll the document.

Both of the above features in the recent Affinity Designer for Windows update have appeared to stopped working V1.8

(just checked and can confirm this has also stopped working in Affinity Photo, however it worked in previous versions for both Photo & Designer)

Edited by imzy

• Staff

Hi imzy and Welcome to the Forums,

The auto-scroll is working for on Windows, as long as i'm not already at the bottom of the canvas, i can click, hold and drag using the selection marquees and auto-scroll will work.

The mouse wheel to select isn't working for me but i'm not aware that this has worked in that manner, which selection tool are you using and i'll do some further tests :) 

Hi @stokerg

Thanks for replying.

I've attached a screen recording of it not working on Window, with canvas purposely set to larger than normal.

ezgif-com-video-to-gif.gif

I'm using the Move Tool [V] to select and drag downwards and its not auto scrolling.

You can also see that I can scroll using mouse wheel, however Select + Mouse Wheel does not work anymore.

It might sound trivial but definetely affects work flow when dealing with multiple art boards with even more components.

I can Confirm it did work in both Designer & Photo in previous versions e.g. V1.6

Update: In Pixel Persona, Marquee selection does auto scroll and scroll with drag and mouse wheel, the issue appears to only be negatively affected to the Move Tool in "the Designer Persona".

Edited by imzy
updating gif url

On Windows 10 with Designer 1.8.1.610 (beta) I can confirm that scrolling does not automatically occur while drag-selecting for me. Direction of drag doesn’t make a difference – up/down/left/right – no scroll either way. The same goes for Publisher 1.8.2.603 (beta).
However, I can scroll around with my mouse wheel as I could previously, but not while the left-mouse-button is held down (don’t know if this was allowed previously or not, never tried).
Also, I can still scroll by holding down the mouse wheel and moving the mouse, or zoom while holding the mouse wheel down and turning the wheel but I don’t know it that’s application- or driver-functionality.
P.S. I have a two-screen set-up where one screen is ‘above’ the other. I don’t get any scrolling during drag-select when the application is in either screen.

• Staff
2 hours ago, imzy said:

I'm using the Move Tool [V] to select and drag downwards and its not auto scrolling.

Thats where i was going wrong.  I'd been using the selection tools in the Pixel Persona.  I can confirm, when using the Move tool i get the same behaviour as yourself.

I'm not sure if this was an intended change in behaviour or not.  I'm just waiting confirmation on the issue from the QA team and will update here :) 

• 2 months later...

I wonder if this anything has happened to this issue.

I am having the same problem selecting text in Affinity Publisher. If I start selecting text that then goes off the top or bottom of the screen/window, the window would previously have scrolled to follow where my cursor wanted to go. But now it doesn't, I cannot scroll outside the current window position.

I'm using Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 on MacOS Mojave, but the same issue is happening on my Catalina machine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 4:48 PM, Zerocrop said:

I wonder if this anything has happened to this issue.

I am having the same problem selecting text in Affinity Publisher. If I start selecting text that then goes off the top or bottom of the screen/window, the window would previously have scrolled to follow where my cursor wanted to go. But now it doesn't, I cannot scroll outside the current window position.

I'm using Affinity Publisher 1.8.3 on MacOS Mojave, but the same issue is happening on my Catalina machine.

Yeh it sounds trivial but definitely hinders the workflow when dealing with multiple art-boards at various lengths.

@stokerg any confirmation on this from QA?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wondering too if anything is happening about this. I'm a new user of Affinity Publisher, looking to move from InDesign and I can't believe that basic selecting text and dragging to continue to select text off the original screen is not there. If I hold the left mouse button down, only the text visible can be selected. Affinity Publisher will not scroll within the same page, and even if text on a new page is visible, it will not scroll beyond the end of the page to select that text.

Please could we have an answer?

• 7 months later...

Just downloaded version 1.9 today and this hasn't been fixed yet. Coming up to a year now. 🙄

Worse thing is, it used to work... and all other programs support this basic interface functionality.

Adobe XD --- Drag
Photoshop -- Drag
Figma --------- Drag or Mouse scroll wheel

Drag or Mouse scroll wheel works in Pixel Persona with the Marquee tool, when trying to make a selection...

Please can the devs restore it with the Move tool in Designer Persona. It's a pain trying to select multiple objects when the artboard doesn't move.

• 3 months later...
On 3/11/2020 at 4:15 AM, imzy said:

When making a selection on the canvas and bringing my mouse down to the bottom,
the document would auto scroll downwards allowing me to make additional selections as and when objects were revealed in view.

Alternatively I used to be able to make a selection and use my mouse wheel to scroll the document.

Both of the above features in the recent Affinity Designer for Windows update have appeared to stopped working V1.8

(just checked and can confirm this has also stopped working in Affinity Photo, however it worked in previous versions for both Photo & Designer)

I am not able to do either of these in Mac version. I used this a lot with Indesgin and would really like to see it working here. 

Just revisiting this topic after my last post a year ago.

These functions ARE now working for me in Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 on MacOS 11.3.1

I'm not sure at which upgrade they started working, I just checked today and found that they are.

2 hours ago, Zerocrop said:

Just revisiting this topic after my last post a year ago.

These functions ARE now working for me in Affinity Publisher 1.9.3 on MacOS 11.3.1

I'm not sure at which upgrade they started working, I just checked today and found that they are.

It is not working for me. I have tried using both a normal mouse and my Magic Mouse. 

7 hours ago, CurranJSmith said:

It is not working for me. I have tried using both a normal mouse and my Magic Mouse. 

It might work in Publisher but the original topic was for Designer and it doesn't work for me in that, it used to but the devs broke it and forgot about it, and mods also stopped responding in here, bizaare.