You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems with Publisher upgrade 1.8.1

I have the following problems with the upgrade of 1.8.1 which I did directly from the same Publisher programmme.

1. Prepapring a PDF for printing with 1.8.1 ends up weighing not twice but three times more! I had to make a correction on a document I made last year that weighed only 274 MB. I made a correction on the text, and now the same document, following the same settings I used before when exporting as a PDF file for prining, weighs 1,23 GB!!!

2. Problems importing PDF files into your document. This problem I've had since the very beginning with every Affinity programme. I produce a monthly magazine and most of the adverts are sent as PDF files. Every single programme in Affinty (Designer, Photo and Publisher) completely deconstructs PDF files and sorts them out as layers, and if you don't have the exact same font as the one in the pdf, it will replace it for another. The only way I could work this out, is by converting the PDF files into images—using Photoshop!

3. I don't know if pre-flight was available before, as I never noticed it—but with version 1.8.1 it's mandatory! It opens all the time, and according to your pre-flight everything you have done is wrong (all buttons are orange or yellow)! The problem is that all the mistakes it detects are proper names, the names of cities, foreign words or any word that doesn't have a meaning in the English language (which is the one I use). So a name like MacHale, the spelling checker will ask you to change it into 'manhole' or some such absurdity. Is there a way to avoid having the spelling checker check spelling to proper names, cities and/or foreign words? Again, with  version 1.8.1 the pre-flight signaled with a red button something wrong with an image, but no explanation. It happened to be a PDF image as mentioned in the above point. So I had to convert the PDF into an image, and then place it back in the document. The pre-flight red button then disappeared. Oddly enough, this same PDF image had been used last year and sent to the printer with no problem. Now PDF images pose a problem with version 1.8.1.

4. This isn't a bug, but rather a question. I have to send a document to the printer by the end of the month, and can't wait another 6 months until these bugs are fixed, so is there anyway of downgrading to a previous version? Do I have to first bin the 1.8.1 version an then re-install an older version?

I haven't checked Photo or Designer upgrades yet, but for the time being these are the bugs/problems I have with Publisher 1.8.1.

Please I need a reply asap, as I have to send a document to the printer by the end of the month!

Best wishes!

• Staff

1. Prepapring a PDF for printing with 1.8.1 ends up weighing not twice but three times more! I had to make a correction on a document I made last year that weighed only 274 MB. I made a correction on the text, and now the same document, following the same settings I used before when exporting as a PDF file for prining, weighs 1,23 GB!!!

If you use the Mac App Store version there is a bug which is causing text to be exported as curves which could be increasing file size, we should have a beta out soon with a potential fix for this in, but that's subhect to testing. The more likely cause is that we have also adjusted some export presets. So you might find the values in the "More.." part of the dialog are different than before

2. Problems importing PDF files into your document. This problem I've had since the very beginning with every Affinity programme. I produce a monthly magazine and most of the adverts are sent as PDF files. Every single programme in Affinty (Designer, Photo and Publisher) completely deconstructs PDF files and sorts them out as layers, and if you don't have the exact same font as the one in the pdf, it will replace it for another. The only way I could work this out, is by converting the PDF files into images—using Photoshop!

We don't read embedded fonts from PDF's, so you can ensure the text in the pdf is curves to work around this, or ensure you have the font as you say.

3. I don't know if pre-flight was available before, as I never noticed it—but with version 1.8.1 it's mandatory! 

View > Studio > Preflight and you can set it to "Never" if you don't want to see anything, you can also edit the profile and choose which preflight warnings/errors you'd like to see, and can disable the one for spell checking for example.

4. This isn't a bug, but rather a question. I have to send a document to the printer by the end of the month, and can't wait another 6 months until these bugs are fixed, so is there anyway of downgrading to a previous version? Do I have to first bin the 1.8.1 version an then re-install an older version?

This depends on where you purchased the application from (our store or mac app store). It's not possible to downgrade via the Mac App Store.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I bought all the Affinity software from the Affinty shop. I upgraded from the software. When I open it, there's mention of an upgrade. The upgrade doesn't come from any Mac app store. There's still problems with the size growing up to four times when preparing a pdf for printing. If everything has to be reset all over again, isn't of any help. I'm no computer engineer, and don't have time to waste changing everything around. Plus, I can't remember how I set my documents previously (which is the reason why it shouldn't change with upgrades).

Thanks for info on preflight, for which I have absolutely no use.

I finally gave up on changing everything around, deleted the upgrades, and downloaded earlier versions (1.7.3) which has worked fine for me and have no problems with the printing. The only advantage I had with the upgrade 1.8.1, is that you can import files from other documents, something that couldn't be done with previous versions. Other than that, I'm satisfied with previous versions, aside of the problem with the PDFs, which I convert into images. That said, I'll keep using Affinity, as long as it keeps working (and give it a mention on the masthead of the magazine I work for)!

In conclusion, I won't upgrade until all these problems are fixed, or will simply remain with the 1.7 versions. I took a great risk with the upgrade, because I could have lost all my previous work. So keep at least the previous/earlier versions available for your customers.

Thank you very much, and have a geat day!