You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to Achieve Evenly Distributed Dashes for Dashed Lines

Is there a way in the Affinity apps to achieve an even distribution of dash patterns along a dashed line?

For a line or open curve, the desire is that a dash should terminate the endpoints of the curve and that the dash pattern be spaced evenly between.

For a closed curve, the desire is that a dash pattern be spaced evenly such that there is no point along the curve where the pattern is broken. (See problem in screenshots below.)

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.03.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.04.03 PM.png

56 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

It is a pity that gap values use whole numbers (or a definition model where a whole number causes such a big change) as this makes it impossible to use the mouse wheel for easy adjustment of the gaps ...

At least on Macs, holding down the alt/option key changes the interval to tenths. Still a bit coarse for precise adjustments but better than nothing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Alternative methods you can look at are...

1. Text on a curve with the text set to "Justify All"

2. The Power Duplicate function -  like you would duplicate and evenly space the minute markers on a clock face

PS Tried to upload an example but the forum uploaded is not working at the moment (Error code 7)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Make adjustments to the pt size of the stroke.

On a 40mm circle a dashed stroke width of 3.8pt gives an even distribution, so does 4.7pt and 3.5pt 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Can't suggest a brush because of the distortions the Affinity Designer brushes apply.

These are supposed to be squares!!
1497620101_ScreenShot2020-03-11at08_10_54.png.55953f062d2ff263bddff44cdc5a9541.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 minutes ago, carl123 said:

PS Tried to upload an example but the forum uploaded is not working at the moment (Error code 7)

You probably should report that in the No more uploads topic.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

So no even gaps but still dots seem to perfectly align???

I am not sure what you mean. What are the dots aligning to?

Affinity Photo 

I think Carls suggestion gives the best control for circles.

It's odd that in order to get a dashed line that fits, you have to adjust the object and or the dashed width, this seems contrary and poor workflow.

There needs to be a better method for dash distribution that takes into account the curve length and not just the settings of the dash parameters.

7 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

There needs to be a better method for dash distribution that takes into account the curve length and not just the settings of the dash parameters.

I think so too. I have not really worked out all the details (particularly for the double dash options) but maybe something that considers a dash-mark & the gap as a 'dash unit' & allows one to enter the number of these units per curve?

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I think so too. I have not really worked out all the details (particularly for the double dash options) but maybe something that considers a dash-mark & the gap as a 'dash unit' & allows one to enter the number of these units per curve?

Aesthetics are important but compromise is just as important, you can't always make something fit unless you compromise and for a purposeful action form is meaningless unless it first has function, the level of function also comes under compromise, how good does an action have to be to be good enough.  

So within the gamut of compromise what are the variables...

1. Curve length
  2. Dash width (stroke width)
  3. Dash width (horizontal)
  4. Dash spacing
  5. ...

You could create a complicated gradient, as per my attached image (but with more stops), but I think that’s probably going a bit too far. Also, changing the number of dashes later would be very tedious.

There’s also the option - Designer only - of using symbols to create the dashes, as per my attached video. Not ideal but it might work in some situations (when the shape has the same horizontal and vertical dimensions, otherwise it goes weird).

Neither of these two ideas are ideal but they may be useful to someone at some point.

Annotation 2020-03-11 090735.png

33 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Aesthetics are important but compromise is just as important, you can't always make something fit unless you compromise and for a purposeful action form is meaningless unless it first has function, the level of function also comes under compromise, how good does an action have to be to be good enough.  

I think some form of specifying dash & gap lengths as a function of curve length (so it scales as the length changes) would be good enough for a lot of uses.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 year later...