You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newbie here who is struggling with Publisher.  I have to do the text of our newsletter 'justified' - with Pageplus9 at the end of a line I would just do a return and the bottom line of the paragraph would be fine.  At the  moment the bottom line of my work in a paragraph is spreading three words all along the line.  I have been into the Paragraph Tools to try and change but just can't find how.  I am attaching the text for you to see the problem.  It is the bottom line in para one.

Been asked to contact Support - how?

Edited by Maudie1942
Tried to upload the afpub file but asked to contact you.

4 hours ago, Geoffk1351 said:

I have exactly the same problem and I have selected justify left but still no success. I do a line return and the last line is stretching out to fill the line. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

A small sample document (in .afpub format) that demonstrates your problem would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
10 hours ago, Geoffk1351 said:

I do a line return

Do you mean the "Return" key on it's own (paragraph) or Shift+Return at the same time (soft return or newline)? For a soft return this is correct behaviour AFAIK.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Do you mean the "Return" key on it's own (paragraph) or Shift+Return at the same time (soft return or newline)? For a soft return this is correct behaviour AFAIK.

That is exactly what happens here.  Shift+Return (line return marker) creates the last line as justified all the way across the text frame with equal spacing between the words.   Return (paragraph return marker) causes the last short line to be justified left, as long as the icon up on the Context Toolbar is set to Justified Left.  Perhaps Maudie 1942 could turn on TEXT>Show Special Characters, to see whether she has a paragraph return or a line return?  Her attached file is a PDF so I couldn't check that.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

17 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Why would that be the correct or expected behavior for text that is left justified, or for that matter for any justification other than full?

What am I missing?

EDIT: Thanks for the answers but I was being stupid & confused aligned with justified.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Why would that be the correct or expected behavior for text that is left justified, or for that matter for any justification other than full?

Text that is Justified Left is spread to the edges of the frame on all lines except the last line of the paragraph. That line is left-aligned.

Suppose you are entering a paragraph of text, justified-left, and you have typed the three lines below:

Here is the first line of the paragraph, and
here is the second line, and here is a third
line which is shorter.

Now, at the end of the third line, you could type Enter to end the paragraph, and the line would remain left-aligned. But if you type shift+enter to force a line feed, the line is no longer the end of the paragraph, because something will follow it. Only Enter (or a story break) makes it the last line of the paragraph. So, when you type shift+enter the line becomes justified, as it is a part of a justified-left paragraph and is not the last line of the paragraph.

Here is the first line of the paragraph, and
here is the second line, and here is a third
line      which        is           shorter.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Because the text is justified on a per paragraph basis and a soft return continues the current paragraph, so it continues the justification, and the left centre or right-ness of the "last line" is still being applied but to a line containing only the non-marking paragraph glyph. All lines above (including any that end with a soft return) are fully justified

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Sorry been so long getting back to you but husband in hospital.

When I looked at Special Characters it just showed Return paragraph. However, I have just set to Justify Left and it is now OK.

Thank you for all your help.  With my husband now in hospital and a deadline looming I think I may have to go back to PagePlus9 as I just don't have the time to try and learn everything as it is so different, and as someone said, you don't even know how to ask the question in Help.  Who would have thought that a line around a text box would now be called a Stroke.  And Yes you are right -  to the person who wrote about the Tutorials - far too fast - you just get lost as to where his cursor is.  I end up shouting at him to slow down!  Oh for a User Guide in print.