You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Corner Tool on Expanded Stroke Glitch, Freeze, or Crash

1. Draw a pentagon with the Polygon Shape Tool
2. Increase the stroke size to ~12pt, and set joints to Mitre
3. Expand the stroke
4. Using the Corner Tool select all 10 nodes
5. Drag to round the corners

Expected: Rounded corners

Result: Sometimes crazy glitched corners that point all over the place, occasionally a complete freeze requiring kill Affinity via Task Manager, but most usually a crash to desktop.

1907918697_AffinityCornerToolCrash.gif.0ae4c765dcea98061b70c12e13ade998.gif

Same result in 1.8 and 1.8.1.604 Beta

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Aammppaa, FYI it did the same thing on a mac in beta version 1.8.0.5. Even a force quit took a minute for it to actually quit.

Tried it on the mac mas version 1.7.3 and it seemed to work other than the top point couldn't be selected in the curve tool.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Further to original bug report…

The issue seems to be that some of the nodes are "backwards".

Screenshot of an adding external rounded corners to an expanded stroke, of a 20px pentagon, in 1.8.1.611 Beta

Notice how 2 corners are convex (correct) and 3 are concave (incorrect).

747712407_AffinityBackwardsCorners.png.b58c9b9fbd320e65aca3fc71b7f16a35.png

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

"Massive expand stroke improvements
Get incredibly accurate results ..."

😀😀 😀😀 😀😀 😀😀 😀😀 😀😀 😀😀 😀😀 😝

Hey, did you see that flying pig!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• Staff

Hi Aammppaa,

I believe the issue you've shown is the same as the one shown below. Interestingly the file was correct after saving and reopening!

On 3/12/2020 at 10:24 AM, SuperUser said:

I'm just going to leave this video here (1.8.1.604 Beta).

Just in case you don't want to watch:

1) Corners are not round on expand stroke.

This issue is different to the one Aammppaa reported - this relates to the cap on the shape, whereas the other was when using the Corner Tool. However we do have this issue reported and it is still with development to be fixed.

@Sean P Yes I think you are right - it is the Expand Stroke creating inside-out corners which is the problem, rather than the corner tool itself.

Still present in 1.8.2 so I hope this can be fixed asap.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
On 3/19/2022 at 11:18 PM, Valerian said:

Still present in Affinity Designer 1.10.5.1342 on Windows. Produces inconsistent results as well as seen in the internal corners. Please fix this as soon as possible. 

Correction: *because in the screenshot.

I want to second this bug is still in 1.10.5. Created 5 hexagons, convert to curves, contour the sides out, bake new shape and then when I try to slightly round the corners of all 5 it freezes and crashes the software. Can one of the dev's test this for us and log it as a bug if they can recreate please?