You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resource manager nested items

When I've got a series of images that are the same, they always appear in the resource manager as nested with the nesting collapsed. When I select the image in the document, it just highlights the collapsed file name. This means if I clicked 'replace...' it would replace all instances of the file.

Often when laying out a document, I might place a file, then copy it to retain its cropping, scale etc. Then replace the file with a similar image.

As it stands, this is a multi step process. I have to click the placed file in the layout which highlights the collapsed header in Resource Manager, then I have to expand the list, then clear selection and reselect the image in the layout. That then highlights the individual entry in Resource Manager so that I can replace that specific instance.

I can understand that some people use DTP apps differently and may rather the behaviour of defaulting to the header entry rather than the individual instance.

However, please add a preference as to whether to nest multiple instances of the same file under a header or just show all single instances. Perhaps it could be a toggle in the resource manager? Alternatively, default or give the option to default to all the items being expanded so that you retain the benefits of an ordered list, where you can replace numerous instances in one go, while also allowing those who regularly need to replace a single instance the ability to do it without jumping through hoops?

Thanks.

Good suggestion.

A couple of workarounds for now, that you might consider:

1. Select the image on the page using the Move Tool, and use the Replace Image button on the Context Toolbar, rather than using the Resource Manager.
  2. In the Resource Manager, click the Page # column to sort by Page # rather than image name.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 8 months later...
On 3/10/2020 at 4:33 PM, walt.farrell said:

Good suggestion.

A couple of workarounds for now, that you might consider:

1. Select the image on the page using the Move Tool, and use the Replace Image button on the Context Toolbar, rather than using the Resource Manager.
  2. In the Resource Manager, click the Page # column to sort by Page # rather than image name.

Thanks, and sorry for the really slow reply. The Replace Image button in the toolbar is much easier. The sorting by page # helps but doesn't really solve the issue.

Still think that being able to set the resource manager to not collapse the list and to highlight the resource selected in the document (not quite the same as using the 'locate' tool) would be helpful. Mainly, not showing collapsed lists in the first place so that you don't have to do multiple clicks of selecting and deselecting and reselecting again. 

For now, I'll just try to get used to working with the toolbar button.