You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo shortcuts and brush size

Hi evereryone,

Few questions about AP that bothers me for quite some time.

Firstly, shortcuts. It seems like by default numbers are set to change the opacity of layer and brush. I would like to change it, but I can't find that shortcuts in the preferences.
I want to set decrease/increase size brush to 1 and 2  respectively (it's just how I used to work in different software, it's easy for my workflow). Even though AP allows me to set those numbers in shortcuts, it still changes the opacity of brush instead of it's size. Is there some workaround for that?

Secondly, more annoying is that decrease and increase size brush have some strange jump sizes. I would like it to change by 1px (especially when i am working with small brushes 2-6px range), but it jumps by 0.6 or 0.4 or 0.5 every time different. If i start with 4px size and then decrease it and increase I can't even go back to the original 4px. It's always 4.3 or 4.2 or 4.5 etc. Very frustrating Is there a way to set the decrease/increase size increments by 1px all the time ?

Lastly, is there a way to keep brush cursor a small circle instead of cross when using small brushes. It's changing to cross when the brush is small and i dont really like it. 

Thank you. 

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to change any of these behaviors.

The opacity shortcuts are built into the app & cannot be overridden, probably because they accept both single & two key presses done in rapid succession, so for example opacity can be set to 23% by tapping the 2 key followed immediately by tapping the 3 key.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Rafal said:

Secondly, more annoying is that decrease and increase size brush have some strange jump sizes. I would like it to change by 1px (especially when i am working with small brushes 2-6px range), but it jumps by 0.6 or 0.4 or 0.5 every time different. If i start with 4px size and then decrease it and increase I can't even go back to the original 4px. It's always 4.3 or 4.2 or 4.5 etc. Very frustrating Is there a way to set the decrease/increase size increments by 1px all the time ?

See this thread

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/97095-weird-brush-size-increments/

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, Rafal said:

Firstly, shortcuts. It seems like by default numbers are set to change the opacity of layer and brush. I would like to change it, but I can't find that shortcuts in the preferences.
I want to set decrease/increase size brush to 1 and 2  respectively

I can change the Paint Brush Tool size shortcuts to 1 & 2 (as requested) in the Tools section in Keyboard Shortcuts

But this only works for the numeric keypad on the right-hand side of my keyboard

The number 1 & 2 keys at the top of my keyboard are unaffected and still change the opacity

(This is on Windows)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 minutes ago, carl123 said:

I can change the Paint Brush Tool size shortcuts to 1 & 2 as requested in the Tools section in Keyboard Shortcuts

But this only works for the numeric keypad on the right side of my keyboard

The number 1 & 2 keys at the top of my keyboard are unaffected and still change the opacity

I can do the same thing with the same results on my Mac & its attached  Apple Extended keyboard with a number pad & additional function keys on the right. Not too surprisingly, when I change one of the shortcuts to 1 or 2, I get the warning triangle that informs me that those keys are already used for opacity.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you very much for the answers guys.

Unfortunately the numeric keypad won't work for me as I have all necessary shortcuts on the left side of the keyboard. I guess i will have to readjust to new things if i want to use AP.
Thank you for redirecting me to the brush increments thread also.

13 hours ago, Rafal said:

I would like it to change by 1px (especially when i am working with small brushes 2-6px range)...

It isn't a keyboard shortcut but did you know that if you use a mouse with a scroll wheel you can place the mouse pointer over the width number field in the context toolbar & change the width using the wheel? At least on my Mac, if I do this & move the wheel by one 'tick' it changes the width to the next larger or smaller integer px value & each successive tick of the wheel continues to change it by integer values.

This also works on the other numeric fields in the context toolbar.

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

It isn't a keyboard shortcut but did you know that if you use a mouse with a scroll wheel you can place the mouse pointer over the width number field in the context toolbar & change the width using the wheel? At least on my Mac, if I do this & move the wheel by one 'tick' it changes the width to the next larger or smaller integer px value & each successive tick of the wheel continues to change it by integer values.

This also works on the other numeric fields in the context toolbar.

Oh, yes it does work. thanks for the tip.

Still, i have pen in the right hand and the left hand is free to use keyboard shurtcuts for faster work.

• Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Pixel Brush Tool (and possibly Raster Brush Tool) should increment in steps not percent) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

For now the Pixel brush has been improved to increment in single pixel steps

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.1/1.8.2 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon