You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing Canvas --> That Damn Checkerboard Non-Image Pattern

I use an older version of Photoshop on the PC. I want to buy something descent for Mac OSX (Gimp driving me crazy). Every paint program I try seems to be horrible at the simplest task of resizing a canvas larger so I can paint into or paste into the extra bitmap area. In Photoshop, if I resize a canvas to a larger size, it fills in the extra created area with the background color. In Affinity Photo it fills it in with that annoying checkerboard pattern that seems to indicate there is no bitmap there. As a result I can't paint, draw, or fill it with the paint bucket. I can seem to draw geometric shapes there though, which then create more layers, which I then have to merge down, which don't delete old layers, which means I have to manually delete the old layers. Augh!  Really? There's got to be a better way.  Does anybody know of a simple straight forward procedure for filling in that checkerboarded portion of an image?

And maybe Affinity could do it the way Photoshop does it in an update!

Thanks for any help.

• Staff

Hi Elhardt,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That's by design. When you enlarge the canvas Affinity Photo doesn't know how to fill the background and so leaves it transparent (that's the meaning of the checkerboard pattern).

To fill it go to menu Layer ▹ New Fill Layer, double-click the colour circle in the Colours tab to select the color you want, then drag that layer to the bottom in the Layers panel. Let me know if you still have trouble.

Thanks LilleG. Perhaps the fill tool is something different than any of the paint tools, because none of the paint tools worked.

MEB.  I see what you're saying. I'll try what LilleG suggested first. But just the large number of steps as you describe for something so simple is what turns me off to apps like this. As I pointed out, in Photoshop the blank space is filled in with the current background color and nothing more needs to be done. I haven't tried the Affinity Photo Beta enough, so maybe there is no such thing as a foreground or background color.

I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase it anyway. The price is good even even if it might be a bit of an effort to do certain things with it.

Hi MEB,

I just purchased Affinity Photo and unlike the Beta version, this shipping version allows me to use the paint bucket to fill in the transparent portion of the image. So it's not so bad now. I'm also glad to see the shipping version allows me to display cursor coordinates, which was another gripe I had, but is now resolved.